Whiskey Barrel Smoker and a Picnic

ChetPunisher

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well, today is the first cook on the WBS (Whiskey Barrel Smoker). I will be plugging her in shortly and adding the meat in a while. I'll add pics in a bit. Wish me luck!

Luck, you don't need no stinkin luck. You're a brethren!

Whatcha cookin?

Oops.. I'm cooking a 9 lb. Picnic. Injected and rubbed last night. Here's a pic. The smoke stack is just a temp. Still trying to come up with an idea for that.

img1967km.jpg

How are you bringing fresh air into the unit? With that size flue it wants some. Steve.

I have a 2 inch hole in the bottom that allows air in and the cord out. Right now the flue is two inches. I'm getting good smoke out.

what would be a sweet chimney is 18or 16ga square tube. but then cover it with a box made out of aged wood. on the wood use a small torch to burn the grain a little. or get a wood burner to right your name or fav whiskey on the side

Nice cooker. +1 on the chimney. Using drier vent on that cool rig is not the cherry on the sundae.

Well aware that the dry exhaust tube is pretty darn ugly, but I wanted to try it out and I know all of you wanted to know how it does. So I'm sacrificing my honor by posting incomplete pictures... :)

A man with a plan.. oh I'm sure everyone would like more updates and pics.. sitting on pins and needles.. looks good so far.. :thumb:

Well, back to the drawing board. Would not move the meat above 170° after 11 hours. I'm not disappointed. It is always good to learn something new and doing it to gain experience. I finished it in the oven and it is now resting. I will pull it in a while. Pics to follow. Not sure if I hurried it, it was only 55° out today. I know the empty barrel can reach 260° and hold steady. Not sure if the weather played a roll or if the meat did.

Any advice?

What was the temp in the cooker? Sounds like you hit a stall. They can be a real pain.

I only have one probe and it was in the meat. The thermometer in the barrel was reading 220°. When I was testing the barrel yesterday, There was about a 30° difference between the probe and the thermometer. I figured it was a stall, but I have never dealt with one before and it was going on 11 hours... I could have waited it out and pushed on into the night.

Yeah. Stalls can be a real bear. I freaked on my first pulled pork when it hit a stall. I'm an internet junkie also though, so I found a lot of info about it. Didn't stop me from finishing in the oven then, and was still good. That's the point anyways isn't it? ;)

Well, the news just gets worse. Finished in the oven and started to pull... No smoke ring, no smoke flavor. Bark didn't develop properly. Still tastes good, but I would not put it in the BBQ realm. So now I have to decide if I want to figure out a way to use charcoal/wood without creating an inferno. I love the platform and I think it can be done. Just need to do some thinking. Good thing my Char Griller still makes stellar BBQ. Ribs on Memorial day will still be amazing...

Somebody else on here has a whisky barrel that they use Charcoal in. I remember him saying he has to fill up with water once in a while to keep the wood from drying out to much and getting loose.

Actually you probably don't want to mess with it, I'll be happy to drive up there and take it off your hands. I can even bring ya a steel drum and you can make a run of the mill UDS :wink:

Thanks for the offer... Um, no. I think I'll try a charcoal basket and see if I can work things out. If not I will have a great story of how I once burned my smoker to the ground...

Back