high heat pork butts

gotbags-10

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
So I've done about 20-30 pork butts with great success at 225degrees but have seen some people doing them higher around 250-275 to get done faster. I certainly wouldn't mind getting some done a little faster. I'm wondering about rubs burning with the sugar in them. I think sugar starts to burn around 250 if im not mistaken. I do like a sweet rub on my butts. What about substituting sugar in the raw for the brown sugar? Would that help? What are most guys doing in this situation? Also since it would be higher heat would it be wiser to leave the fat cap on to help protect it? I normally cut mine off. Thanks for the help, Nick

I did a couple last weekend at 300 +/- 10 degrees with the simply marvelous sweet seduction rub. I'm not sure what type of sweetener they use, but I wrapped in butcher paper once they hit 160 degrees and before the stall. Didn't have any issues with burnt sugar and they came out great.

I just forgo the sugar on my rubs and I don't have to worry about any burning :)

This past Sunday I had to cook 6 pork butts for the Youth group at church. I overslept and lost an hour getting started. I normally cook at 225 and started the cook off at that temp with my brown sugar rub. After a few hours I began to get nervous about the time so I let the temp creep up to 250. The bark looked just like I cooked it at 225 and I was able to pull the butts at 4:15 pm when they probed tender. Right on schedule. I know 250 is not really in the high and fast category but it is hotter temp than I normally cook at – I had no ill effects.

I've found it's easier to let the smoker do its thing it whatever its natural range is. On mine that I work with now it tends to like the 260-265 range. Frankly the smoke has been cleaner (no longer smothering the fire to keep it unnecessarily low) ergo. the BBQ has been better (IMHO; subjective mind you) and they're done a helluva lot faster than at 220+-. I use very little sugars in my rub, and the little I do use is Turbinado... Never burned sugars...

I don't cook under 300 and the only rub I use is K salt on my Butts. I gave up on rubs on most everything and frankly I don't miss it either it is a truer essence of BBQ IMO. I think the Cook @ 225, wrap it in foil at 160 Bozos came up with it has to have rub or it aint BBQ regulation, closely related to the must wear seatbelt & helmet Bozos .

I have cooked pork butts as low as 225 and as high as 350. When cooking hot and fast 300+ I get the color I want on butt, then I put it in a pan and cover with foil. After taking it off the smoker when it is done, I let it rest but vent the pan so the steam escapes and when after I pull the pork, I will reintroduce the fat to the meat that is left in the pan.

I have gotten great final product doing it this way and you couldn't tell the difference from a pork butt that is done at 225.

I did 2 butts this weekend at 275-300 using dizzy dust rub, with no issues.

I also cooked a pork butt this weekend at 275 (+ or - 10 degrees) on my UDS. Plowboys Yardbird and seasoned salt were what I used for rubs - sparingly, at that. 10 pounder was probing just right in around 9 hours - coolered it for 2 hours, and it fell apart. Best one I've cooked yet.

There are "Bozos" who think that their way is the only way.
That includes "Bozos" who refer to others as "Bozos" 8)

I cook Butts and Briskets at any temp from 250 to 350 --depending on what I want to accomplish time wise.
It all works to produce:
GOOD EATS!

TIM

Interesting, I have never cooked "purposefully" above 250F on anything on my smokers. I might give this a try next pork butts I do, as I do them pretty frequently.

I dont monitor temps on by cans.. light em and let em rip.

The Jambo is a bit different but I'm still running closer to 300. Bottom line is, when your internal gets around 195 pull it..

It will rise to 200 and you can pull the bone out and pull it.

Back