Butts on the OTG (PRON)

PJIMMY10

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Put these two butts (both bone in and about 5 lbs.) on at about 10:30. Have been keeping the cooker temps at about 225-250. Will keep updating as I finish.
bbq pics 006.jpg
bbq pics 007.jpg
Here are the Boston Butts. Just from local grocery store on sale nothing special.
bbq pics 009.jpg
Here they are rubbed up.
bbq pics 011.jpg
This is how I set up my OTG. Top vents all the way open bottom just BARELY open. 12 lit briquets to start the "snake". Peach wood then apple then finish it with a kiss of pecan.
bbq pics 016.jpg
Here they are on the grill
bbq pics 019.jpg
this is after 3 hours. This is the first time I opened it. Did a spritz here also.
bbq pics 021.jpg
Here it is after 5 hours. Second time I opened it. Another spritz.
bbq pics 023.jpg
Here it is after 7 hours. Third time I opened it. AAAAAND another spritz.

It has now been 8.5 hours and Internal Temp is 192 (on one of them anyway. Will be probe checking for tenderness at 195. See ya then.

All done

First I just want to say that this is the first time I tried boston butts on the OTG. I was VERY happy with how well the weber kept it's temp low and for a LONG time. I extended the "snake" about 18" at the 7 hour mark and I had PLENTY of fuel for the 12 hour cook. Probably could have made it 10 hours or so at 225-250 without ever adding.

It took forever for my post to show up so they have been done for a while...1 came off after about 10 hours and the other one came off after about 12 hours. It was kind of weird that they were both about the same size yet they cooked so different. I will be posting the finished product tomorrow as pulled pork is on the super bowl menu along with some wings that I will be doing.

sorry about the delay

005.jpg
first butt
006.jpg
second butt
008.jpg
pulled
011.jpg
in pans
009.jpg
plated up!!! I also smoked some wings and our friends made some fantastic SPUD DELUXE you might also know it as SPUD SUPREME...ahhhh delicious...oh yeah and GO RAVENS!!!

Nice try!!!

No way my wife would give up that family secret.

Ahhh- snake the et 732 probes through the vents in the weber. I'll have to try that.

Back