Meatloaf & Apple Pie

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I've never smoked a meat loaf, or an apple pie for that matter. With the Throwdown "Let's Get Baked" challenge, I felt inspired.

So I started by putting the middle kid to work on the apple pie with peeling and slicing the apples.
Summer-Fall2012003.jpg

I usually make my own crust, but admittedly cheated this go round with a frozen crust. But I filled the crust and got it ready to bake while the UDS was coming up to temp. This is about 45 minutes in. UDS was cruising along at 350 and I applied egg white wash.

Summer-Fall2012014.jpg

The pie comes off to cool about the time the meat loaf goes on.

Summer-Fall2012028.jpg

I make my meat loaf a little different than most...almost like candy. Brown sugar, regular sugar, ketchup and BBQ sauce. Again, the middle kid goes to work on the mixing.

Summer-Fall2012017.jpg

Meat loaf is ready to come off the smoker at about 180 IT.

Summer-Fall2012029.jpg

The money shot, as good as it gets anyway. The food tasted far better than the photo looks.

Summer-Fall2012032.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it matters what the food taste like when you can spend quality time with your child. However, that pie does look good. Thanks for sharing.

WE had meatloaf last night too! (oven meatloaf)

That looks great man! Apple pie......MMMMMMMMMMMM!

Nice work Greg! :clap:

That looks great! Apple pie a la mode is my favorite. Nice use of the kid crutch also! Nothing like sharing some time with the kids in the kitchen. :thumb:

WE had meatloaf last night too! (oven meatloaf)

That looks great man! Apple pie......MMMMMMMMMMMM!

Nice work Greg! :clap:

The kids love meat loaf, but I never would have thought to do one on the smoker without the advice from folks on here. Now I'm not sure I can ever cook one in the oven again.

Back