Our first attempt...what do you think?

MAP

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We ran our first full practice run away from the house and made our first ever turn in boxes this weekend. the weather went from hot and sunny aon Saturday to bad rain on Saturday evening to freezing and raining on Sunday morning. These were taken with my phone the rib box is a little fuzzy.

Attachments

• brisket p.jpg
    brisket p.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 233
  • chicken p.jpg
    chicken p.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 233
  • pork p.jpg
    pork p.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 233
  • ribs p.jpg
    ribs p.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 233
Looks nice. I like the layout of the pork box but I would try to fill it some more...there is a lot of green on the top and bottom. Overall I like the boxes.

• Thanks
Reactions: MAP
I would say everything looks pretty good for a first attempt!

Brisket: Pic a little dark, but looks fairly moist. Like the layered slices, but not sure the cut off ends help the appearance. And cutting off the ends will lose you some bark and flavor off the piece the judge will sample. Score 8. (as an aside since I don't pay attention to garnish, your garnish does frame the meat nicely.

Chicken: I think the picture color is a little off, so the chicken looks a little orange to me. The sauce looks a little blotchy, but isn't over sauced. Score maybe 7, most likely 8.

Pork: Looks nice, but is there chunks on left and right, pulled in center and slices top and bottom? If so it looks like you might be a little short for 6 judges to get pulled samples. It looks nice and moist and again not judging garnish, but the garnish looks pretty good. Score maybe 8, could be 9 at table.

Ribs: Score solid 9, not much else to say except I want 1 (or may all 8!) :clap:

I would say everything looks pretty good for a first attempt!

Brisket: Pic a little dark, but looks fairly moist. Like the layered slices, but not sure the cut off ends help the appearance. And cutting off the ends will lose you some bark and flavor off the piece the judge will sample. Score 8. (as an aside since I don't pay attention to garnish, your garnish does frame the meat nicely.

Chicken: I think the picture color is a little off, so the chicken looks a little orange to me. The sauce looks a little blotchy, but isn't over sauced. Score maybe 7, most likely 8.

Pork: Looks nice, but is there chunks on left and right, pulled in center and slices top and bottom? If so it looks like you might be a little short for 6 judges to get pulled samples. It looks nice and moist and again not judging garnish, but the garnish looks pretty good. Score maybe 8, could be 9 at table.

Ribs: Score solid 9, not much else to say except I want 1 (or may all 8!) :clap:

Thanks!!!!!!!

The photos were not the best. My teammate took some with his high speed low drag high dollar camara that came out alot better that when he uplods them I will post. The chicken was red it must be from the photo. Our first comp is in 2 weeks I hope the weather is better then.

very very good!

i don't like the pork layout, but the meat looks good. try and get that 9th peice of chicken in there. i think it'll help appearance score dramatically.

• Thanks
Brisket 8 possibly 9 (pic doesnt seem to do it justice)
Chicken 8 possibly 7 (pic, not sure, thick sauce and globs, but not bad really)
Pork 8 or 9, but I'm leaning 9 (bark looks REALLY dark but probably is pic flash)
Ribs 9, solid fuzzy pic, but I think we can see ok

worst case 8789
best case 9899

I can't add much to what's already been said. All in all Nice Job!
The smoke ring on that brisket looks really good.

Wow, first time, really?
They all look pretty great! Maybe a little more pork in the box, but 8's and 9's I'd say

• Thanks
I think at the comp in 2 weeks I will move all the slices to the top leave the chunks on both sides and just add alot more pulled to the center and bottom and that should make the box look alot more full.

I just want to say that this was our first attempt ever at a full comp run and every thing was turned in on time.

Most of what we have learned came from this site and I just want to say THANK YOU to you all!!!! Our fun and adventure is just starting.

very very good!

i don't like the pork layout, but the meat looks good. try and get that 9th peice of chicken in there. i think it'll help appearance score dramatically.

Good comment, I personally wouldn't let the 9th piece issue into my judgement for apperance

All 8 or 9 IMHO. Nothing looks over sauced. Nice boxes.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

B 9 - Looks excellent to me
C 8 - although they look pretty dadgum good, could be better arranged
P 8 - leaves me looking for more - at first glance (which is about all a judge gets) it looks kinda dry
R 9 - looks excellent

Good comment, I personally wouldn't let the 9th piece issue into my judgement for apperance

i may or may not in this instance. it'd be a gametime decision. but still probably only the difference between an 8 and a 9, which can be huge.

with that said.

whether conciously or sub, the layout is uneven and that might effect perception. also it brings into question whether or not the cook had the skill to bring a ninth piece into play. looks like was going for it, but failed, again, not in the foremost thought process but could be there when the pencil hits the paper. avoid these possibilities.

If those are your first boxes .. You're well on your way.

Very Impressive. Good luck and enjoy.

Back