My chicken s*cks

"Bone to Bark" BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I need help with chicken!!! What temp seems to be the best for achieving that "bite-thru" skin? Any suggestions otherwise as to what to do.... spray, brush or coat with something at a given time in the cook cycle?

Thanks

Processes vary greatly. You'll need to find one you like. I prefer to grill over relatively high heat until it's 180+ internally.

high heat... ive done butter baths and other process but i have had the most success with....aipfn asdiasfia pdfindgd and thats how i walked with chicken last year :becky: actually just keep it simple, dont get too caught up in bite through chicken skin, other parts of a chicken score well too...

I need help with chicken!!! What temp seems to be the best for achieving that "bite-thru" skin? Any suggestions otherwise as to what to do.... spray, brush or coat with something at a given time in the cook cycle?

Thanks

Do you scrape your chicken skin?

I haven't found that scraping is necessary, in fact it lowered my scores because the lack of fat reduced my flavor. Ther key is to render the fat under the skin. I've been trying indirect cooking at 360 degrees (aside fro mthe normal prep routine) and that has always seemedto work for me. I have not tried cookingthem face down in margerine (yet), but that seems to work for a lot of competitors. I have tried mayo under the skin with my rub and that has worked nicely to produce a bite through skin without the loss of flavor. I will definitely be practicing alot i nthe next few months. Good Luck.

I cook chicken between 225 and 250 and get consistent bite through skin.

Your mileage May vary.

Thanks

Chicken is cheap. What have you tried? Have you tried low, med, high temp? What have you tried spraying, brushing, or coating on the chicken? My advice is spend some quality time getting to know your chicken and practice, practice, practice and then practice some more with all those variables trying any wild thing that comes along.

I scrape the skin and limit the smoke as too much smoke seems to dry it out. I also spray with apple juice (lightly) if you see the skins starting to dry out.
Cook temp 250-260 and remove when thighs are between 175-180. Thin your sauce so that it doesn't overpower the taste and don't use brushes, figure out a way to sauce w/out leaving brush marks. Also, I've done many practices and have found that NOT seasoning under the skin worked best. I rub lightly the night before and re-rub before cooking.

I have only one 1 first place chicken call. the skin shrunk down to the size of a portage stamp . I put on a heavy coat of sauce. I assume that the judges thought it was bite thru . Their teeth might ifbeen hitting just below the skin. Perfect bite thru skin ;)

We scrape, cooked at high heat, and only do boneless. Glaze at the very end with you favorite sauce. Have placed in each of the last five comps we have done.

We scrape, cook at 260, pull from the cooker, sauce and put in the box. Since we went to our new , simplified process we've gone 6th, 2nd, 1st in the 3 events since we started this way. Before we had a 6th in our first event ever where we basically pulled them out of the package and put them on the smoker and other than that never cracked the top 15 or 20.

We used to brine, rub, inject, scrape, sauce, cook, mayo, parkay, clarified butter, etc etc. basically i think we ended up doing too much and took away from the flavor that chicken should have.

I trim, scrape, remove the vein (thigh) and fat pocket in the front. I wasn't going to let chicken be a pain for me so I did two big packs a week until I could trim out chicken blindfolded if I had to. Did this one last weekend. Two different batches and two different cookers, same result. I got chicken dialed in. Finish temp is about 180-185 and bite through every time. I run mine at 225 for about 1:45 total time.
chickie4.jpg

I trim, scrape, remove the vein (thigh) and fat pocket in the front. I wasn't going to let chicken be a pain for me so I did two big packs a week until I could trim out chicken blindfolded if I had to. Did this one last weekend. Two different batches and two different cookers, same result. I got chicken dialed in. Finish temp is about 180-185 and bite through every time. I run mine at 225 for about 1:45 total time.
chickie4.jpg

looks great

chickie4.jpg

that chicken don't suck.

Back