Ok fellows

A

Austin

Im getting ready to do my first bbq contest,,,anyone wanna give me advice,,I have the cooking part down,,anything special I need to take,,,and advice,,Im excited but yet a little nervous,,Its the birth of"PorkChop smoking something"

OK, what event, who's sanctioning it (or is it unsanctioned), do you have a truck or trailer, what kind of cooker are you using....we need some info.

yes sir its here in covington tn,,not sure whos sanctioning it,its the 32nd year for it,,I have a brethen thats trailer mounted,,yes sir have a truck,,generator,,canopy,,tables,,lights,,coolers,,hell even have a 8' stainless steel table,,,i cook with white oak and hickory,,already have the wood and charcoal,,its the weekend of october the 15th,,

So, it's a MIM event - are you doing whole hog, shoulder, and/or ribs?

You're not making this easy, are you? :D

If you've never done a Memphis in May qualifier I'd suggest you got to http://www.memphisinmay.org and check out the rules (what's legal and what's not).

MIM events have blind judging and on-site judging. You'll need a place for the judge (on-site) to rest his or her weary body while you tell them how you prepared your outstanding pork shoulder. He/she will sample your food and ask you some questions, etc. etc. etc.

Very few of us have done a MIM event so I'm hoping those that have chime in.

You're in for a very interesting weekend.

Alright a MIM guy! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences.

For basic advice, that should cross circuits....

1. Get certified as a judge if possible. Find out what they're looking for and how they look for it.
2. Learn the rules of the competition inside and out. You're gonna put a lot of effort into your cook and you don't want to be disqualified for breaking one of the rules.
3. Have fun with it.
4. Pick up Mike Mills book, Peace Love and BBQ. He talks about competing on the MIM circuit and gives - what appears to be - a good run down on what to expect.

You'll need to cook at least five whole three bone shoulders, and I'd cook an extra one.

One for the blind box, one for each preliminary judge(3) and one for finals.

That all gonna fit in your Brethen?

RE: Re: RE: Ok fellows

Meant to ask that last night.

whats a Brethen. ? :?

peace 8)

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Ok fellows

Bandera,,sorry thinking one thing typing another

Austin,
I think I owe you a baffle :oops: . PM me your address and I will try to get out Monday. If I forget, please please please remind me.
Noah

Austin,
I just finished your baffle, but a couple of notes.

1. The baffle goes in the smoke box, with the short tabs also in smoke box, but the long tab in the fire box (It should be a fairly tight fit keeping the baffle in place).

2. Remove the two bolts on the top corners of the smoke hole, and dry fit the baffle. With a felt tip marker, mark the tabs so that you can drill the holes for the bolts (Use a 3/4 bit).

Don't be afraid to bend the baffle to make it fit, as they all need a little tweeking. If you have any questions, just send me a note.
Noah

Back