• Remove all the fat that you can.

Votes: 55 68.8%
  • Just leave it in and chop it up.

Votes: 25 31.3%

• Total voters

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Do you remove as much fat from your pulled pork as you can or just leave it in? I've seen some people just pull the bone and chop it up. I try to remove it all. If I need to i will add some of the juice from the cook.
What is your preferred method?

I remove all of it when pulling. I would hate to bite in to a nice sandwich only to get a hunk of fat.

Leave the fat on for the cook and then after it has worked its magic, 86 it.

Of course that is just one man's opinion...:rolleyes:

I trim pretty close prior to rubbing. After the cook is done, I remove any large pieces of fat.

i voted leave it, but generally i'll trim up the fatcap after its done ( my cooker is almost directish ) because sometimes it can be pretty charred up...and over crunchy, but i dont dig through it lookin for fat to trim, just remove bone, run bone under cool water til it's cool enough to handle, then use it to Pull my meat

I leave it all on for the cook, then take it out during the pull.

I'm with the rest of the camp. I leave it on, then toss it when pulling.

I leave the fat on for the cook and will remove the largest pockets of fat while pulling.

This is why I could never be a competition BBQ cook. Not only do I try to find the fattiest butts I can, but I also leave all the fat in during chopping (which I prefer over pulling). I for one love the little bits of smoky pork fat this leaves throughout a sandwich. Same goes for brisket. I don't trim or waste a thing.

Nothing new to add here - I'll trim the fat cap when cooking. I haven't done a butt on my UDS yet, however - just in the the offset. I'll probably leave a lot or all of the fat on in the UDS and use it as a heat shield. I get rid of most of the fat when pulling - but a little bit of pork fat can be a beautiful thang. A huge bite of fat though, not so much!

One of the well known national bbq chains here doesn't remove any fat before pulling/chopping. About 1/3 fat in their sandwich. That was the first and last time I tried their bbq. Fat gives flavor but full of fat is awful. JMHO.

One of the well known national bbq chains here doesn't remove any fat before pulling/chopping. About 1/3 fat in their sandwich. That was the first and last time I tried their bbq. Fat gives flavor but full of fat is awful. JMHO.

Please tell us you're exagerating. On an 8# butt that renders to 4# there is nearly 1.5# of fat with it as well.

I also leave the fat on. If the pork is fine w/o it, then great. If I need a bit of moisture, I chop it up (minced to a near liquid consistency) and mix it in. I'm from the South and am not scared of eating some fat.

Leave it on and let the girls do the pulling. They know just how much fat to remove. Besides I'm a cooker not a puller.

Well, obviously when pulling, try to avoid any huge chunks of fat. Throw em to the dogs, or the scrap bucket.

As for trimming... I'm still on the fence. Last time I did 4 butts, I did 2 completely untrimmed, and 2 I trimmed all the fat I reasonably could on the exterior before giving a coat of mustard/rub.

Honestly, I couldn't easily tell the difference between the two. After low and slow for so long, there was still more than enough fat in both to keep moist. I'm guessing that the exterior, accessible fat is such a small percentage that it didn't really matter.

Still, I'd like to hear what the rest of the brethren think....

Oh man. I was at the Boss Hog cookoff earlier this year and watched one of the competitors take a butt, pull the bone out and then started chopping. Sorry, but that is just too much fat for me. I leave the fat on for smoking then pull as much as I can out before chopping. There's also that sinewy stuff in there too. Kinda like the membrane on ribs? Anywho, NO FAT FO ME. LOL!

sfxw88.gif
sfxw88.gif
sfxw88.gif

I trim off the fat cap and any other visible fat on the outside before I rub it with mustard and rub. Then when pulling I try to get rid of as much fat as possible through pulling, I only chop sometimes after the good meat has all been pulled. I'd say overall I lose at least 30% of the starting butt weight to shrinkage and fat waste....

Back