Results are in!

S

sigmasmokers

Well, for my 4th contest, I experienced my 1st cookoff with Heavy Thunderstorms all night Friday night. So, Friday night, we got our meat on and while standing in a foot of water, dodging lightning, we had to hold our tents down with one arm, while drinking a cold beer with the other. Quite a night. Anyway, there ended up being 60 teams in the contest with some pretty big names. I am pretty pleased with the results. I thought I had turned in some pretty good chicken but the judges did not think so. I think it was about 20th. Then I turned in ribs, which I thought we too tender but once again the judges did not think so. I finished 3rd in ribs. I was pretty happy with the pork which placed 10th and then the thorn in my side(Brisket) finished 20th. It was pretty darn good though. I guess I have not tasted championship brisket so I really have no idea what I am up against. So, when the final results were in, me and my 2 man team, excluding my kids that you will see in the pics, my 2 WSM and my Dera finished 8th place overall. I'll take that. Thanks for all of the words of wisdom and words of advice. By the way, I was going to take pictures of my turn ins, but being so new at all of this, I was getting a little stressed from about 11:30 - 1:30 and forgot. In the pics I do have, I am the shorter one of the dynamic duo and it is my OL and Kiddos in the pics.

Steve

chicken turn

I guess my wife did take a picture of the chicken I turned in. You judges give me your opinion on what I should change for next time. Here were my scores in everything.

Chicken 23rd Place
978 988 898 877 765 778

Ribs 3rd Place
989 789 899 899 689 699

Pork 10th Place
888 899 876 978 787 698

Brisket 28th Place
867 746 668 888 877 998

Steve

Congrats on a pretty impressive job. You scored higher than all but 7 people you competed against in bad conditions. I noticed you mentioned you did manage to drink a beer while hold down the tents, GOOD JOB.

Excellent showing my friend! 2-9s, 2-8s, 2-7s in appearance in chicken, was nothing but personal preference. Looks like top 10 chicken to me. Only suggestion I would make is to trim your thighs to where they are the same size, cook 18-20 of them, and choose the 6 most uniform in size.

Your brisket scores were all over the place, (like we haven't experience that ourselves) I'd like to see a pic of that turn in if possible.

Great job brother!

Congrats on a great finish!!!!!!!!

The chicken presentation also looks great.The only thing I might have done(hard to say just looking at a picture) would be push the parsley down more(in between the pieces) so the chicken would be the center focus.Cause thats some good lookin' chicken!If I'm dealing with smaller thighs I usually will put eight in a box.Kick is right about the uniformity in chicken pieces.

Judges are all over the board with scores.I think there really needs be a crack down on the way some judges score.Its mainly the inexperince of new judges that flood the bbq circuit every year.For example, this weekend in ribs: 988, 989, 688, 775, 978, 335.....Everything is pretty close except for judge #6.Whats up with that???? That's the norm here lately with the scoring.

Willy T.

Congrats.

Sounds like a typical competition weekend - weather and all!!

Good showing.

dxesmkr said:

The chicken presentation also looks great.The only thing I might have done(hard to say just looking at a picture) would be push the parsley down more(in between the pieces) so the chicken would be the center focus.Cause thats some good lookin' chicken!If I'm dealing with smaller thighs I usually will put eight in a box.Kick is right about the uniformity in chicken pieces.

Judges are all over the board with scores.I think there really needs be a crack down on the way some judges score.Its mainly the inexperince of new judges that flood the bbq circuit every year.For example, this weekend in ribs: 988, 989, 688, 775, 978, 335.....Everything is pretty close except for judge #6.Whats up with that???? That's the norm here lately with the scoring.

Willy T.

Maybe judge #6 is a vegetarian....... 8)

dxesmkr said:

Willy T.

Judge 6 didn't hurt you, judge 4 did his score counted.

jminion said:
dxesmkr said:

Willy T.

Judge 6 didn't hurt you, judge 4 did his score counted.

Hey Jim,
I know judge 6 wasn't scored, I just hate my low score was wasted on a bad call.It could of possibly been judge 4 being the low score any other time.Another example.....Last year we finished 2nd in pork at Union,SC contest.Here's the numbers.....887,887,725,877,888,898.Judge 3 was way outta whack.From the score he gave in taste they should have spit it out. But what really got my attention is when I looked through the other pork scores.My number was a total of 14 from that judge.Loooking over the other team numbers I saw five other judge 3 scores in the low teens.It may just have been coincidence.
Don't get me wrong,I'm not using this as a excuse for this past weekend. Cause I can tell you everything "I" did wrong to attribute to my finish this weekend . I just think there is alot of inexperienced judges.Nothing is more disheartning than too hear judges after judging say" We didn't have anything worth a dang today".

Just my opinion.Not mad in the least,
Willy T.

Wow, fourth comp you said? I'd be crowin'!

Many grats for that. It's too bad you don't get your scoresheets back like we do when we compete in the home brewing arena. Then you'd have something definite to work on.

Again, great job!

Congrats on a great showing. The important part - did you have fun?

WillyT
I understand what you are saying but to those judges you think are inexperienced could very well not be the case. Celebrity judges and some long time judges could very well be the judge that give those scores. Food writers for newspapers and cook book authors are good example of folks that can give low scores. At two Royal invitationals Paul Kirk and Smoky Hale came to me and said they didn't get any turn-ins that they could give good scores. You may be very surprised where the scores come from.

A good Rep should look for those kind of scores and between turn-ins have a talk with that judge.

Looks like you had a good weekend. As these guys have said, placing 8th in just 4 comps - pretty awesome.

And thatlooks like a real Bandera! No paint on the firebox! LOL

awsome
You are in it deep now!
Weekend will be booked for a while chasing grand and reserve....
good luck and congrats!!

Back