• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

galvanized?

B

BENZTECH

Working on a new pit, my primary smoker box is an old compressor tank.
The interior was well rusted, cleaned and prepped. After burning out the tank it appears the exterior of the tank may be galvanized. With caution to zinc poisoning does the exterior of my tank mater. If this is a problem will blasting or grinding off the galvanized finish resolve my issue. Thanks

My opinion - if the galvanized were on the coal side, you betcha.....

On the outside? No, and would help protect the metal.

RMR

I don't know whether it's a concern on the outside or not, but for me, I don't want it. Grinding galvanizing is a BEAR! I'm working on a reverse flow and under a gazillion coats of paint, the exterior was galvanized. The sandblasters wanted a minimum of 600, sight unseen, so maybe more. Way out of my price range. Muriatic acid will dissolve galvanizing, but has hazards too. I built a 2x6 trough, layered visqueen to catch the acid, and curtained the trough with visqueen. Wore an organic respirator, and used a pump sprayer to coat the tank with the acid, repeatedly! It too 6 gallons for a 120 gallon propane tank. I collected the spent acid into plastic buckets and neutralized it with baking soda, hauled that to the haz waste dept at our dump. Although it removed all the galvanizing, I will never do that again!:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

It may not effect the food, but it could possibly be a health hazard to people nearby when it is hot. I'm not sure about that, but you better make sure. Better safe than sorry.

CD

The heat of the fire box should put contaminants in the air and be a hazard, plus the
fire box needs to draw air, air that is contaminated... Not good. I'd pass.

Better safe than sorry.

If it galvinize on the outside I would say the inside was also never heard of a piece of metal just galv on one side, Are you sure it not painted with galv paint.

Back