10' x 20' canopy

Anchors Smokeshop

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Competition season is around the corner and I am in need of a new canopy this year. I had one 10' x 10' EZ UP Canopy that was setup in my backyard and I came home from work on a windy day to find that it had blown down the street.
So, now I'm debating on whether I should buy two 10' x 10' EZ Up canopies, or is there a better built 10' x 20' canopy that I could buy that will withstand the elements in a competition?

Competition season is around the corner and I am in need of a new canopy this year. I had one 10' x 10' EZ UP Canopy that was setup in my backyard and I came home from work on a windy day to find that it had blown down the street.
So, now I'm debating on whether I should buy two 10' x 10' EZ Up canopies, or is there a better built 10' x 20' canopy that I could buy that will withstand the elements in a competition?

I don't compete, but I have used the EZ Ups many times. I've found that if you have 2 canopies side-by-side and it DOES rain, you get a lot of water in between them. I'd say if you're looking for a 10x20 area, then get a 10x20 canopy. PERSONALLY, I prefer the 12x12 size for more room.

They sell a pretty nice 10x20 size canopy at Menard's (don't know if those are where you are) that's got metal poles and bungee-on style tarps for roof and walls that I've been considering picking up for our Cub Scout Pack. My brother's got a pretty nice 12x12 canopy (not EZ-Up brand) that has walls and all, but it cost him somewhere above $200.

For me (I'm a cheap arse) I've always been able to find canopies off of CL. I've bought 3 so far for around $60, which is a good deal. All 3 were brand new, maybe used once.

Good luck!

This is what I use. It is kind of heavy but two people can put it up easily. It is very sturdy in bad weather.

IMG_1231.jpg

We're still working with two 10'x10' Caravan canopies, always with 240lbs of sandbags!

The other thing to consider is, are you ever going to be setting up/taking down this thing by yourself? The 10'x10's can be done by one person.

This is like the one that I was talking about at Menard's (I think Menard's is a midwest thing?) at HD....

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-O...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I have been using one of those for the past 3 yrs.
Yes they hold up but the downside is that they are very heavy to load and although I have put it up by myself, it is a real pain. Two people are best.

I got mine at SAMS for around 200, the brand on mine is KING CANOPY
Their website lists them as more expensive but I don't remember paying that much.

I have a 10x20 that sits in the shed most of the time - too heavy to haul around and takes two people to set up. Since I set up at contests solo, I've decided to stick to 10x10 EZ-Ups. If I go with two, I'm goinig to use a gutter between them to avoid the centerline dripping. A lot less time with set-up and tear-down, plus a lot lighter.

I use the 10x20 canopy like the picture above, picked it up at Pep Boys, they run specials on them all the time, of 69 bucks, another 30 for the sidewalls, I can put it up myself without any issues, I picked up a nice canvas duffle bag that all the poles fit into, makes it nice and easy for transport, takes me about 15-20 minutes on my own to put it up. The brand I got from pep boys is Shelter Logic.

That KD Kanopy looks great. Do you have any idea what the 10x20's sell for? Their web site doesn't list any prices.

This the one we got from California Palms. Very sturdy and we got the screen side.

IMG_20101201_131556.jpg

EZ UP makes many different grades of canopies. You can spend 60 bucks or 1,200. The higher end ones have aircraft aluminum frames, better locking hardware, and internal reinforcements in the crossbars.

I starting with $60 10x10 King Canopy units from the local overstock store. Most of the hardware broke within a couple of years. I moved on the the 10x10 dome shaped EZ-UPs. Those were nice because the rain ran down the sides of the canopies. You could put two together without a flood in the middle. It turned out that EZ-UP made them only due to Sam's Club asking for them. When Sam's Club dropped that model, EZ-UP stopped making replacement parts. If you didn't follow the directions exactly on how to put it up, it was really easy to bend the cross bars, making them useless. With no replace parts, it was time for the scrapheap.

I finally went with the higher end 10x20 aluminum EZ-UP, and so far it's working well. The build quality is better. It survived being put up by some people that didn't know how to do it when I wasn't there, and it was fine. The method they used would have bent the crossbars on the old models, for sure. There is no gap to deal with between the tents, and it's still easy to put up.

So I think you get what you pay for, but I'm only starting my second seaon with it, so we will see if it continues to hold up. The aluminum frame is very light though...have to weight or stake it down for sure.

We have done both the 10x20 and 10x10's. Tried a King Canopy Goliath model last year- really a nicely done tent- lightweight but strong.

If you use 2 10x10's, you can get a gutter for it. Highly recommended. EZ up sells them for around $60- made of the canvas material. I bought a 10' gutter from Lowes for $5, then modified it by trimming the length slightly and drilling holes in the sides to attach to the tent with cable ties.

We make our own gutter for 2 10x10s by folding the edge of one side flap back up over the edge of the other side flap it is facing and then securing the fold with spring clips along the length of the side. As long as the fold in the center is higher than the folds to each side the water will flow away and end up running down the legs.

We butt our canopies to each other when we set up and then use a couple of 11" plastic cable/wire ties to secure them together. This locks the legs of the canopies together and makes the "gutter" described above easier to make.

That KD Kanopy looks great. Do you have any idea what the 10x20's sell for? Their web site doesn't list any prices.

They are spendy, I think his was over a grand. He's also had it for over 10 years. Once while setting it up alone in the wind it flew over the top of his race trailer and landed a couple of spots away. It bent a couple of parts but was still in really good shape.

I use the Industry Light Hut Canopy 10 x 20 Easy Pop Up Tent Industrial Grade purchased at hutshop.com....It's relatively light (73 lbs), easy to set up (can be set up by 1 person, but 2 is always better), and pretty sturdy...it's pricey, at around $680, but for us, well worth it...If you don't want to spend that kind of money, I would get 2 10x10 EZ ups at Sams (about $400) and fold and clip the inside edges with Metal binder clips to form a gutter.

Back