Help for a novice

Great info everyone, thanks for the input. After a little more experience of the Q'ing thing, maybe I'll be able to add a little insight!

Now on BB's, I was told to smoke until the internal temp hits 160*, then foil it until internal temp hits 190* to 200*, then put it in the cooler for 3-4 hours. I do brisket the same way, is this still the preferred method? Or have I missed the plane once again.

markbet said:
Now on BB's, I was told to smoke until the internal temp hits 160*, then foil it until internal temp hits 190* to 200*, then put it in the cooler for 3-4 hours. I do brisket the same way, is this still the preferred method? Or have I missed the plane once again.
As long as your "BB" is for Boston Butt--You have it!
Sometimes it gets confusing when BB is used for both Boston Butt and Baby Back. But, it works!
TIM

DFLittle said:
For Spare Ribs! 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours in foil - well sprayed, 1 hour or however long you can wait back on the heat - this is when you add sauce if you like your ribs "wet"

Baby Back Ribs will need a shorter cook time -- maybe 2-2 or 2-1-1 like John said earlier a key to when the ribs are done is when the meat pulls back from the end of the bones about 1/4 inch or so -- another clue is when you try to pick them up the rack breaks in the middle :D

I've been cooking chicken thighs at approximately 1.5-1-1 and it just falls off the bone. The last 1 is approximate since I'm saucing the chicken at that point and letting the sauce "candy up".

Markbet.

I think you missed the plane again.. :lol:

Follow this fellers method and you cannot go wrong.

john said:
DFLittle said:
For Spare Ribs! 3 hours in smoke, 2 hours in foil - well sprayed, 1 hour or however long you can wait back on the heat - this is when you add sauce if you like your ribs "wet"

Baby Back Ribs will need a shorter cook time -- maybe 2-2 or 2-1-1 like John said earlier a key to when the ribs are done is when the meat pulls back from the end of the bones about 1/4 inch or so -- another clue is when you try to pick them up the rack breaks in the middle :D

I've been cooking chicken thighs at approximately 1.5-1-1 and it just falls off the bone. The last 1 is approximate since I'm saucing the chicken at that point and letting the sauce "candy up".

Markbet.

Hey John...That is my lifes story dude...... :lol:

I think you missed the plane again.. :lol:

Follow this fellers method and you cannot go wrong.

Now if you want realy great BBR, wind them on the Bandera rib rack then put em' on the top smoker box set of shelf tabs above a 2 gallon cast iron pot of beans which is above the heat shield with a 10-12 lb brisket below the heat sheild where the air temp is 200-220. The rib air temp will be about 150- 170. After about 8-10 hrs in the smoke, those BBR will be the best you have ever tasted. Last batch was no spraying, no foil, no sause, just great taste......just real slooooooooooow smoking.

This kind of cooking is new to me so I have to ask the masters. I have always cooked to about the temp of med. rare on beef so not to dry it out and kill the flavor. Now I am told to cook it to about 200deg. so as not have it tough and dry. I am not arguing Just trying to understand.Thanks for all the help,My membership was the best money I have spent in a long time.Right next to my UDS. Steve

This kind of cooking is new to me so I have to ask the masters. I have always cooked to about the temp of med. rare on beef so not to dry it out and kill the flavor. Now I am told to cook it to about 200deg. so as not have it tough and dry. I am not arguing Just trying to understand.Thanks for all the help,My membership was the best money I have spent in a long time.Right next to my UDS. Steve

Rare and Med don't work well with butts and brisket because they are cheap and tough cuts of meat. You need to take them to a higher temp in order to make them tender but not to well done so they are not dry and crumbly.

I don't foil ribs unless I am really running behind time and I never mop or spray. I wait tell I get close to my approximate done time and pick it up with the tongs in the middle and see how it bends, if it bends over like a wet noodle its done if not it goes a little longer. Also don't ever check internal temp on ribs.
Dave

Smoker temp clarification 3-2-1

So I'm throwing three racks of baby backs on the Traeger 075 today... I understand that for BB's the ratio is probably more like 2-2-1. I'm looking for advice on the temperature to use. :confused: I'm able to go anywhere from "smoke", 180, 225, 250, 275 etc...

I've invited a few people over today who along with the wife like them fall off the bone tender and juicy. Please help a brutha from another mutha out. :becky:

Thanks, Al

3-2-1 is only a guideline and needs a temp in the area of 225-235 or so.
Cook hotter and it will take a lot less.

I cook Baby (Loin) Backs at 260-270ish for about 1.5-1.75 hours, foil them for .75-1.0 hours, then sauce and put back in the smoker just long enough to set the sauce--maybe 15 minutes or so.

You will need to experiment with them so see just how they cook up on your cooker to get the results you want.

Good Luck.
Keep us posted--OK?

TIM

I have cooked several smaller racks of ribs on my uds, also finally done an awsome brisket and what I have noticed about the uds is the cook times are shorted. Ribs are usually done in 2.5 hrs, brisket was done in 9 and fatties are done in 90 minutes. Cooking temp usually stay around 260.

Has anyone else noticed this about a uds?

3-2-1 is only a guideline and needs a temp in the area of 225-235 or so.
Cook hotter and it will take a lot less.

I cook Baby (Loin) Backs at 260-270ish for about 1.5-1.75 hours, foil them for .75-1.0 hours, then sauce and put back in the smoker just long enough to set the sauce--maybe 15 minutes or so.

You will need to experiment with them so see just how they cook up on your cooker to get the results you want.

Good Luck.
Keep us posted--OK?

TIM

TIM,

Thank you for the advice... It's greatly appreciated. :clap2: I'll make sure to follow up with how it goes... I'm also going to give MOINKs a trial run today as well. :hungry:

I have a feeling I'll be popping the top button of my pants once we are done feasting today... :laugh:

To follow up, the ribs and the MOINKs turned out great! I took lots of pics, but am having a heck of a time figuring out how to upload them into a new thread. :confused:

I've asked for technical assistance and once I get the help I need I'll post the results.

Thanks for all your help! :clap2:

How long you had that UDS have been thinking about making one myself. Actually had a guy tell me today that he had a drum that I could get and I immediately asked if it was lined or fixed lid. I think I have been reading too much the amount of information might make my head explode.

Back