• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Email responses

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am not sure if this belongs in this forum or not, but I have an observation.

Last week I sent a brief email to each of the KCBS BODs, using their KCBS email addresses. I received a virtual immediate reply from two, and a super quick (hours) reply from two more.

The rest never tendered a reply of any kind; Not to acknowledge receipt, clarify position, provide information, our provide a counterpoint to my email.

My personal experience provided me some valuable information, and I thanked each of the respondents for their time. That is largely a thankless "job" for certain...

I emailed all those involved on the rules changes and got zero responses.

Not surprised.

I also emailed 10 members of the Iowa Senate on an issue last week and only one got back to me. No surprise there either.

I really think that once you get elected you lose sight of who helped get you there. Not all are that way but a huge percent are (unless you got money for them).

I got responses from 4 members who argeeded with what I was saying. Linda is the only one who disagreed with me that bothered to e-mail me back with her reasoning. I don't agree with it but at least she responded.

I got responses from 4 members who argeeded with what I was saying. Linda is the only one who disagreed with me that bothered to e-mail me back with her reasoning. I don't agree with it but at least she responded.

I agree. You have to respect a response and at least having a reason behind it.

It's not always possible to respond to every email. When there's an issue they can get 100+ in a week. As it's a volunteer position they can't be expected to reply unless they have a stock thanks for the email note they cut and paste. When you get exactly the same response from one BOD member to 20+ emails well you get the idea. Why respond.

What's important is that the BOD read your email and look at all the emails and allow it to influence their decision. What we don't want is "well I don't agree with that so they are wrong". Somehow I feel that some BOD members think this way.

While I agree with Ford that not responding to one email isn't much of an indicator about a BoD member. A clear pattern of not responding is. There have been members of the BoD who have never responded to an email that I have sent (I would estimate that I have sent every BoD member about 6 emails). Those emails were sent during busy times and slow times.

If there is a pattern of not responding to the people that you represent, I firmly believe that you should be booted as soon as possible.

Eric

It's not always possible to respond to every email. When there's an issue they can get 100+ in a week. As it's a volunteer position they can't be expected to reply unless they have a stock thanks for the email note they cut and paste. When you get exactly the same response from one BOD member to 20+ emails well you get the idea. Why respond.

What's important is that the BOD read your email and look at all the emails and allow it to influence their decision. What we don't want is "well I don't agree with that so they are wrong". Somehow I feel that some BOD members think this way.

With all due respect, how would I know that they "read your email and look at all the emails and allow it to influence their decision" if they can not acknowledge receipt. I am not naive, I know how busy these folks are. I also won't bother telling you how many emails I process daily in my job.

What I WILL say is the responders are consistent. And that, as stated before, is something I know personally.

With all due respect, how would I know that they "read your email and look at all the emails and allow it to influence their decision" if they can not acknowledge receipt. I am not naive, I know how busy these folks are. I also won't bother telling you how many emails I process daily in my job.

What I WILL say is the responders are consistent. And that, as stated before, is something I know personally.
I agree when you have a job 50-100 emails a day is expected at least that was where I was. But volunteer BOD well I just don't think they can reply to all and maybe they feel it's best to treat all members the same even if it is against what members expect. And you can ask for a return receipt to know they opened it.

And I do agree with you that it's consistent about who do reply. Most are from the same faction on the BOD I've noticed. And a new BOD member is off to a good start.

One idea might to be to include an admins address in the BOD list and then they can respond to an all BOD email saying it has been received and will be looked at.

I also sent out e-mails to all of the board members. Merl, Gene, Wayne, Candy and Linda responded.

Every time I have sent an email to the Board, I include a read reciept. So far, the only ones that have been read have been from the very few who have bothered to reply. Now, having worked in IT for over a decade, I know you can choose to NOT send a read reciept, but, on web based emails, smartphones and some clients, that isn't an option.

Just a personal observation.

Back