• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Propane at KCBS contests

Ford

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
When the BOD votes on propane use I hope they will take the following into consideration.

1. Allowing propane will allow many additional makes of smokers to compete. This should open doors for increased sponsorship to both the KCBS and to contest organizers.

2. Allowing propane will allow restaurnat owners, caterers and vendors using top quality cookers to compete in KCBS contests with the rigs they use every day and with the fuel they use. Some may say it's an unfair advantage but we all know it's the cook not the cooker. So now more teams will try to compete.

3. IMHO the most compelling reason to allow propane. The average John Q public not a member of KCBS today and probably not even on these Forums and he will now be allowed to bring the grill they have on their back deck to a contest and compete against the big guys. Surveys say people choose propane over charcoal for backyard use by this group. Give them a chance to build smoke packages, or buy a higher end grill with smoker attachment and give them a chance. The KCBS expands their market, the contests gain more teams and the public is a lot more interested. Get John Q public to enter and invite all their friends to a contest. Then they find out what smoking is really all about. Everybody wins and the KCBS continues to educate the public about BBQ.

Fellow Brethren, I'd appreciate your comments understanding that the BOD will probably vote sometime late tomorrow or early Saturday. I've stated my reasons on why I think it's a good idea. I'm sure some have valid reasons why it's not. Maybe before the vote some BOD members will check this. Maybe not.

I say let propane in! It is another cooking method. We are cooking four categories of meat. No one should be able to tell us what we can use to make our best product. If i want to use propane and I cook great ribs on my Weber, then let me cook. Say YES to propane!

I'm not necessarily against the idea of propane, I agree with Ford it opens the door to more competitors/sponsors, and you still have to make good food.

However, I find it hard to imagine restaurant owners cooking their food the way they are used to in their restaurant having a chance in hell of winning. Just saying. I'll go back ot my corner now.

I'm not necessarily against the idea of propane, I agree with Ford it opens the door to more competitors/sponsors, and you still have to make good food.

However, I find it hard to imagine restaurant owners cooking their food the way they are used to in their restaurant having a chance in hell of winning. Just saying. I'll go back ot my corner now.
Very well said. I put thousands of pounds thru my FE's last year and I cook differently than for a contest. Just need to keep the 2 apart. Until they learn that they will be field fillers who may occasionally be lucky.

I agree with Fords comments.
Some of the best cooks I have ever known have propane fueled smokers at there homes, unable to buy anything better due to our local economy.

I believe a few might enter KCBS comps knowing that propane would be legal if the board votes to accept it as an approved cooking fuel.

Sponsors.........omg think how many major propane suppliers/dealers would probably jump at the chance to sponsor a bbq contest.

I can think of 4 local dealers that service the little village of Eagle and area that would jump at the chance to sponsor as well as bring propane tanks to a contest to sell or refill propane tanks, similar to say an ice delivery truck.

If you allow propane, just open it up to all methods, including electric. Whereas I see your points Ford, also consider the mission of KCBS

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

To me, to truly "preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique" doesn't include propane style cookers. To me, it brings forth the idea of an open fire, wood, and care, not of a weber gasser set to high searing a steak. Its two completely different things

I think that Ford makes some compelling points about propane. The same could be said about electricity as well, I suppose. I'm probably pretty old fashioned in thinking this, but my thought is that the ability to maintain the proper temperature in your pit with out artificial means is a skill that makes barbecue different from any other culinary styles. No offense intended to all you who use pellet rigs. I guess I don't see the need to make competition BBQ more like other cooking methods.

If you allow propane, just open it up to all methods, including electric. Whereas I see your points Ford, also consider the mission of KCBS

Our mission is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form. We want barbeque to be recognized as America's Cuisine.

To me, to truly "preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique" doesn't include propane style cookers. To me, it brings forth the idea of an open fire, wood, and care, not of a weber gasser set to high searing a steak. Its two completely different things
Good points but may I point out that nothing in the nission statement includes the phrase over an open fire. I agree many people hear promote and preserve and think open fire but the fire is the heat source and what makes good BBQ better isn't the heat source but the rubs, marinades, sauces and injections that cooks use and the ability to blend them to create the perfect piece of meat. That's a tradition that is passed from father to son or daughter and sometimes the other way around.

And have you ever tried to get a backyard gasser to keep 250f for a period of time like 10 hours? It's a lot more work that you tink. Now the big SP's are easier to use.

I think someone mentioned the competitor series earlier. It was designed to allow non traditional rules to be applied. i.e. Gas contest, Sitck burner only, Lamb only, etc.... anything that strayed from the Masters series core rules.

To my knowledge, that was never really marketed, so you just didnt see contests in that arena. Also, since those contests did not count towards points, or some invitationals, they were afraid they would not be as desirable to attend.

The LP Que (Competitor Series inaugral event) that Arlie threw was great! I wish more of those would occur. We cooked it just to try something different.

I think Ford has great ideas/thoughts around this. Esp. with the growth in popularity, I think it opens up cooking for folks with $150 great mountain gassers, and $20k Old Hickory pits... I say bring them all into the fold. I have new people to meet, new places to go! :)

If propane is allowed, then can I use butane? I can 100% promise you that if gas is allowed, you'll see me crisping up my chicken skin or setting my sauce with a torch.

Smoked Chicken Brulee!!!!

KCBTKITCP.jpg

There is nothing left of tradition to preserve so why should it matter? I don't see why electric is still on the outs. They might as well let that in too.

Well said Ford, and well reasoned, I appreciate the comments.

Also, I disagree, but then I'm a guy that would prefer we not allow electric fan assist or electric driven augers. :wink:

I can truly understand the point of view, that says "open it up", but for me, there IS a line we can draw that preserves a slightly more traditional, I'll even say primitive, requirement for BBQ cooking. Different strokes for different folks.

Also, I disagree, but then I'm a guy that would prefer we not allow electric fan assist or electric driven augers. :wink:

I can truly understand the point of view, that says "open it up", but for me, there IS a line we can draw that preserves a slightly more traditional, I'll even say primitive, requirement for BBQ cooking. Different strokes for different folks.

Or different STOKES for different folks... as it were.

It is all about money.

money has ruined Nascar and it will ruin KCBS if allowed.
Yes i am 100% sure the money that is sitting out there from gas suppliers is a strong motivating factor for these discussions.

In fact I had a BOD member tell me just that today.
Problem is - propane just ain't BBQ folks, no matter how much you want it to be.

Ditto that

outlaw pellets, electric blowers, stokers, gurus. Let's go back to basics, and see where the chips fall then.

If the do allow propane, I am bringing my fish cooker, and gonna boil me some ribs! :evil:

as an FYI, many of the board members do look at the forums on a reguar basis, they may not post often, they do want to stay in touch with what members think, I am not sure how this or any other rule vote may go, we will see...... some people think that we the board make up the agenda item rule requests, these are all from the membership, we just vote for or against what is presented to us... Linda Mulane collected this information from KCBS members at the rules meeting last month....

as an FYI, many of the board members do look at the forums on a reguar basis, they may not post often, they do want to stay in touch with what members think, I am not sure how this or any other rule vote may go, we will see...... some people think that we the board make up the agenda item rule requests, these are all from the membership, we just vote for or against what is presented to us... Linda Mulane collected this information from KCBS members at the rules meeting last month....

Approximately 70 out of 11,000+ members. Most not even cooks. That's crappier numbers than the voter turn-out.

In regards to allowing propane cookers at a contest with tons of people crowded into a fairly tight area, I have one question...

Jim (River City Smokehouse), how are you feeling after the propane accident you had with your smoker a couple of years ago?

If it can happen to Jimmy, it can happen to anyone. And I certainly wouldn't want to be a team next to another team using propane when the schrapnel starts flying.

Let's go back to basics, and see where the chips fall then.

Can't - KCBS has a rule about open flame and digging a pit. If we outlaw guru's and augers and forced air - insulated smokers will be next, then the gauge of steel allowed on the smoke chamber, then a pit itself. And what about equipment outside the pit itself? No campers or trailers. Can we have cots?

Am I exaggerating? Guess that's subjective too.

Am I in favor of legalizing gas? I'd like to think I really don't have an opinion. If another team want to use one, I don't have a problem as long as it's safe for everyone. I guess since we do cook some of our categories on a pellet smoker, I would be a hypocrite to say it shouldn't be allowed. As a competitor, I welcome them. As a concerned individual I'd just want to make sure everyone's safety is factored into the decision.

Back