Your Opinions on Brisket Temp

He may pull it at 170 on his thermometer, which could be off by 20.

Or, he may be using tenderizer in his rub?

He may pull it at 170 on his thermometer, which could be off by 20.

Or, he may be using tenderizer in his rub?

If you can tell me what tenderizer to use, that won't fark up my beef, and allow me to cooler it or slice at 170 I wanna know. I can use the sleep:cool:

If you can tell me what tenderizer to use, that won't fark up my beef, and allow me to cooler it or slice at 170 I wanna know. I can use the sleep:cool:

Battery acid maybe? A few hours in that and your beef will be nice and soft - almost mush like.

Heck, my last brisket was stuck at 172 for well over an hour. It seems to be a mini-plateau that I love watching.

In the egg, I don't wrap. It goes the whole way naked. Bareback mod.

Okay, I'm ready to be flamed...but here it goes. I have competed in only four comps and have placed fifth two times. I cooked my briskets to an internal temp of 175-degrees wrapped for one hour in the cooler and sliced for presentation. Had I cooked them to a higher temp would have I placed higher, who knows. But it worked for me. Note: I present the flat first six slices including the burnt end and not from the middle, like most do.

170 does seem a bit low ..
i use temps as guide only and really go by feel as well
I have had a few packers that have been done before 190 but dont recall any being done in that range
FYI - I dont foil
guess everyone has their own thoughts on doneness

Is this wagyu beef? Is his thermo off? Does he "pull it off at 170" and put it in an oven? Does he slice it very thin?

170 does not make a lot of sense to me unless there is something "non standard" going on.

Is this wagyu beef? Is his thermo off? Does he "pull it off at 170" and put it in an oven? Does he slice it very thin?

170 does not make a lot of sense to me unless there is something "non standard" going on.

Only thing non standard is the cook.

The answer to everything else was "no"

Thanks all for your input.

Just wanted to confirm that I wasn't completely crazy.

Only thing non standard is the cook.

The answer to everything else was "no"

Thanks all for your input.

Just wanted to confirm that I wasn't completely crazy.

You may still be completely crazy. We just confirmed that your friend doesn't know how to smoke.

:wink::biggrin:

I think I saw a post on this somewhere... I believe the brisket was KOBE... I think this would be a huge factor...

Taking that meat to 195 may in fact turn it to total mush... no experience, just a guess.

Brisket

I'll take my flat to 170 when I'm making Pastrami:wink:

Also remember some people see "beef" and think the normal cooking plateaus of rare-medium-well done. What we consider normal isn't the norm for most cooks. I did that once with swiss steak I made, and is indeed was shoe leather. Next time, I cook to the temps you've all discussed in this thread, and see how that turns out (oh yes, there will be blo- er, pictures)...

Okay, I'm ready to be flamed...but here it goes. I have competed in only four comps and have placed fifth two times. I cooked my briskets to an internal temp of 175-degrees wrapped for one hour in the cooler and sliced for presentation. Had I cooked them to a higher temp would have I placed higher, who knows. But it worked for me. Note: I present the flat first six slices including the burnt end and not from the middle, like most do.

So what do you do with all that shoe leather that's left over ?

I cook to 160-165. Wrap in foil. Cook to 185-190 for KCBS contests and cooler for an hour or two. For IBCA or at home I cook to 195-200 before coolering.

I cook to 160-165. Wrap in foil. Cook to 185-190 for KCBS contests and cooler for an hour or two. For IBCA or at home I cook to 195-200 before coolering.

Interesting - how does the texture differ between the various temps? Do you find that different judging organizations have different standards and that's why you do it that way?

When I first started smoking briskets, I did a few to that temp or there abouts. I did so because I read somewhere on the net that was the temp, and because I didn't know any better.

I now pull at around 200 and foil, then it goes into a cooler for a bit.

170 is NOT how we do it in Texas,..

Back