First cook on the drum

Hitman0321

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got some baby backs going on the inaugural cook on the UDS. The drum seems to want to be at 260 so I figure ill just let it go for about 3 hours? The rack looks a little lonely so I am going to throw some moinks and corn on for the last hour. Pics to follow.

Let's see some pics. I know that drums have there comfort spot so just deal with it rather than driving myself nut's.

Yep your drum will let you know what it's sweet spot is. When your ribs pass the bend test they are done, time is subjective as each piece of meat will cook different, two pork butts the same weight will finish different due to make up of each cut.

Good idea on the moinks and corn.:biggrin1:

Ok, so the first time using the drum was a success. Held at 260 for 3 hours with no adjustments. The wife and kids nearly killed the rack before I was finished cutting it.

A little Earth to Venus trajectory planning while the drum does its thing.

Off the drum.

Very nice cook...from the looks of your calculations I would say, "Otta this world!"

Makes my head hurt thinking about college physics class many years ago.

Love the drum. I have made 5 or 6 of them. They produce a nice smoke. I'm surprised your ribs were done in 3 hours. Mine take a little longer.

I loved math and physics. BSEE and 2 classes away from a math degree but that was a long time ago. The brain doesn't function as well as it used to... maybe it's the beer!

Ha, the math is fun, but the que is better. I did a bend test at 2.5 hours and they were done then. I may add a diffuser at some point, im worried that any longer and the bottom of the rack would have burned.

Yum! Such a prettah drum too.. I want one!

Did you leave the membrane on because I don't see a smoke ring on bottom part of ribs? I hear on undiffused drums the membrane is often left on to keep the meat from burning?

I apologize for pointing this out, but I have identified a fatal flaw in your equation.:oops: It appears that you have omitted the Constant of Que.:frown: Obviously without "Q" your launch will fail, your trajectory will spiral out of control, and you'll end up in Vegas.:tsk: When you end up in Vegas you'll lose everything, when you lose everything you'll sell your hair to a wig shop...DON'T SELL YOUR HAIR TO A WIG SHOP!!!:twitch::wacko:

I took the membrane off, but I used very little wood. I didn't want them to be too smokey for the kids. Even so, I was a little surprised by the lack of a solid smoke ring.

Back