Why to trim at home!!!!

luckyduk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Opened up a 2 pack cryo of ribs tonight to trim for this weekend, this is what I found. One rack, each bone throughout the rack was broken and bloody, the other rack had two of the bones broken.
badribs001.jpg

This is why I trim at home......lesson learned again!!!!

We've been trimming at home and have had similar experiences and worse. It is also a great time and hassle saver having it all done before the comp.
FB/SGP

I always trim at home. Last year I trimmed at home. cooked 4 racks. getting ready for turnins our best rack (the pig had a broken rib) one bone took a 90 degree turn (never noticed at home) ???? Freaked us out!!!! Turned it in anyways.......1st place at Degaque..1 appearance point from a 180. Ya never Know ??!!!!

Did you get chicken trimmed yet? :tongue:

I don't always manage to get everything trimmed at home, but as a minimum I try open the cryovac and make sure all is well.

Sucks to get to a contest and found out that you need to throw a brisket in the garbage. :mad:

I just went through 12 racks to find 4 good ones. I was b*tching about the same stuff!

I went through 6 last night to get 3 good ones. Some of the crap they sell just amazes me.

I always trim at home. Last year I trimmed at home. cooked 4 racks. getting ready for turnins our best rack (the pig had a broken rib) one bone took a 90 degree turn (never noticed at home) ???? Freaked us out!!!! Turned it in anyways.......1st place at Degaque..1 appearance point from a 180. Ya never Know ??!!!!

Exactly. Turn that freaky meat in! Our chicken for Mainely was the worst looking chicken we have made in 2 years. It was poorly plucked, had holes in the skin. We then proceeded to burn most of it black.

Took 1st with it. 172. :doh:

Yeah, I lost that recipe too

You guys :doh: Always misplacing things......

Cut off the backbone and the flap underneath. Get that membrane off the bottom, slather on your favorite mustard and apply 3Eyz rub liberally. Cook till tender. Thats it, no big secret :p

5 yep 5 briskets today to get 1 good one and a half assed one. ALL looked good in the cryo. 3 Walmart 2 meat market. 2 had cuts in the area where I like to take the slices from ,one had a very thin flat that looked much bigger in the cryo.

Maybe a dumb question. I didn't think you could trim before the contest? Sounds like I wrong?

Well, another reason to be a member of of this site. Always learning something.

How is the fishing???

Cut off the backbone and the flap underneath. Get that membrane off the bottom, slather on your favorite mustard and apply 3Eyz rub liberally. Cook till tender. Thats it, no big secret :p

Sounds 100% spot on to me. Sharing WAY too many secrets though.

Back