Need your input on my ribs

You don't like Pork? What did that rack of ribs do to make you want to turn it in to a Desert menu item? Put down the remote and back away from the BBQ PIT MASTER re-runs. Great BBQ aint Candy coated meat!!:puke:

lol holy crap that made me laugh well my family loved the flavor of it. So i want to still used that on my pork. But i will also make them other ways on my pit The main thing is getting them done

You don't like Pork? What did that rack of ribs do to make you want to turn it in to a Desert menu item? Put down the remote and back away from the BBQ PIT MASTER re-runs. Great BBQ aint Candy coated meat!!:puke:

To each his own. :blah:

I would suggest:

1. Make sure your cooking surface is at least 225 degrees. The grill surface can vary from your temp dail in the door.

2. After about 1.5 hours wraped I would probe in between the ribs with a tooth pick to check for tenderness. The tooth pick should go in like it is going into butter. Don't be afraid to go longer.

The best advice I can give is to just keep cooking - I don't know anyone who just walked up and started putting out consistent Q.

I figure you really wanna keep the foiling cause the flavor was what everybody liked.

So, the best advice I can give is to go 250ish and try the 321 again but when you take them out for the last hour DO NOT take them off until they pass the bend test like bludawg posted.

I like my ribs 275 till they are done with no foil, but I do spritz and add some fine ground rub towards the end. To be honest though....that Johnny Trigg method you're using does make for some tasty ribs.:grin:

As far as candy vs savory......hell I eat'em all!!

more time or more temp.. is your answer... you didn't cook them high enough.. probly needed another hour..

What part of town are you in hellraiser? I'm off hudson bend.

I am up in pflugerville by ghrams central station Nice you are on lake travis then

not sure why you had tough ribs. I cook mine unwrapped at 225 for 2.5 to 3 hours then wrap. If i have them in the wrap any longer than an hour they get too fall off the bone.

when i do 3-2-1 with st louis ribs they seem fine on the 3 but after the 2 your not putting them back on they are fall off the bone by that point ((which everyone loves)) but not me...anyone else have this problem

when i do 3-2-1 with st louis ribs they seem fine on the 3 but after the 2 your not putting them back on they are fall off the bone by that point ((which everyone loves)) but not me...anyone else have this problem

Yep, which is why I cut it down by about 30 minutes at each stage cooking at 250.

I'm about a mile south of Pflugerville as of a couple months ago.. We'll have to get together sometime when it's not freaking 100 degrees for half a year straight.

I am almost 100% certain that I know whar caused the problem because I used to hace it myself when I was getting started using a Char Broil Silver Smoker. Its practically the same design as your Hondo.

Your temp gauge was reading 225 and thays probably what it was........at the LID! Meanwhile down at the grate it was probably far lees than that. What happens with these cookers is that the heat takes the point of least resistance on its way out of the pit. In this case the point of least resistance is to go up and over your food straigh to the smokestack.

I had this problem several times before I found the simple solution. You have to lower the inlet of the smoke stack to grate level. This way yhe heat has no choice but to pass around the meat. This can be done simply with an empty metal can with both ends cut out or a piece of aluminum dryer hose. Just make sure that smokestack inlet comes down and you will see better results immediately.

Ditch the foil and crank up the heat. 225 is way too low IMO, and not some magic number for temps. You'll see a lot better results with higher temps(250-275 range), not to mention you'll be eating sooner!

Back