Fire Box Build Help!

smokedgoose

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi I am in the process of rebuilding my 275 oil tank smoker. I need to double check the size for my fire box build.

According to http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html 275 gal cook chamber, would give me a fire box size of 30H x27W x 30L, 62" x 5" for the exhaust and a fire box to cook chamber opening (half moon) of 22.25 inches.

First question: on the cook chamber opening what does 22.25" look like would it be like 11x11.25 inches?

Second question: a fire box of 30H x27W x 30L seems stupid large are my calculations correct?

Third question: since I am building a reverse flow smoker do I subtract the the volume of the reverse flow part?

Fourth question: I have an auber instruments fan controller and would like to upgrade to the appropriate size cfm fan for the new fire box. What size should I get?

Thanks for the help!

Fire box sounds about right. Maybe a tad on the large side based on ours. I think the 5" exhaust 62" long sounds way to long. I'll call my dad and ask him to run your math. He just went through all that on our reverse flow as we just redid the exhaust with a 20"x6" pipe and increased the nimber of air inlets. He will be more familiar than I on this topic.

Just a quick reply to help get you started. Use the search tool at the bottom of the page, enter "275 gallon" and you can start looking at a number of comparable builds. What is the shape of your tank, round or flat-sided oval and if the latter will it sit upright (flat sides vertical) or flat sides horizonlal? Do you have a picture, ideally in it's proper orientation? I'm on an iPhone but I'll try and check some of the math when I can get to a real computer.

Here is picture of the old forum. Current the exhaust stacks and compressor tank are removed and I'm patching the holes up.

Last edited:
Hey, I remember you getting this cooker and posting the clean-up. I'm not sure Feldon's formulas consider this shape cook chamber. If you look at the formulas in detail they infer either a cylindrical or rectangular configuration. Seems like a lot of folks who have actually built and cook on a 275 gallon "oval" in the upright configuration get by just fine with a 24"X24"X24" firebox. I'm also thinking 62"x5" exhaust seems excessive. The 5" or even 6" inch is good, but I'm finding it hard to imagine needing more than 24" height from the top of your cook chamber. Finally if you go with, for example, a 24" cube as a firebox, I would measure the location on the bottom curvature of the Cook chamber that is 24" (looks like about 6"-8" up from the bottom and make that the top of my opening to the firebox and the level of my RF baffle. I would rely more on the imperical results of folks that have this style cooker rather than the Feldon formulas. Hopefully a couple of the guys that have this style cooker will add some help.

This seems to work

Here is a picture of one I just finished with a fire box that is 30"x30"x30" offset fire box. There is a 1" air gap between the tank and the fire box and the heat tranfers hole (24"x5") that is filled in with angle iron. I did this to keep the oil tank away from the direct heat to maintain a more even smoker temp plus prolong the life of the tank. The fire box is made from 1/8" plate. the doors on the back can be opened seperately to avoid heat loss and the lid on top will make a great direct heat cooking surface...at least I hope I won't be using it for the first time til this coming weekend, I hope this helps.......

Attachments

• 100_0931.jpg
    100_0931.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0933.jpg
    100_0933.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 35
Back