Rookie needing advice

bulldawgbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Brethren, I just joined the forum because I need advice about smokers. I currently don't have one, mainly due to the fact that I am in college and tend to move somewhat frequently and cash is a little tight. I plan to buy a nice smoker when I graduate next year and will be living somewhere on a more permanent basis. A friend of mine came back to town to tailgate this past weekend and brought his Stump's Smoker with him. I proceeded to fall in love with it, but I want to get some opinions from guys with other types of grills. Has anyone else worked with a stumps? Were you pleased? What else compares to a stumps? Any other info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of $$$ can you spend? Under $500 - no brainer, get a WSM. $1000 + you got lots of great options. FWIW, stay away from anything with the word Brinkmann on it. I used the heck out of my Brinkmann off-set but came to realize that a WSM is worth every penny more than something you'll find at a big box hardware store.

I'm hoping to be able to spend up to 1500 on one by next june or july. I don't want to buy a lesser smoker first and then be unsatisfied later. I'd rather wait a little bit and then go big

I'm hoping to be able to spend up to 1500 on one by next june or july. I don't want to buy a lesser smoker first and then be unsatisfied later. I'd rather wait a little bit and then go big

Build a UDS, if you absolutely had to leave it behind it would only be a small loss!!:biggrin::biggrin:. Then at your next location just build another. The money saved could go toward meat and gadgets.

If you could take it with you just clean it out and use it to help you move :biggrin:.

JMHO...........

Paul B

What are your plans for the smoker? Just home use or are you looking at competition, catering? If just for home, then start small, and go from there.

The 22.5 WSM at around $350 is one cooking machine that can do it all !!!

Build a UDS, if you absolutely had to leave it behind it would only be a small loss!!:biggrin::biggrin:. Then at your next location just build another. The money saved could go toward meat and gadgets.

If you could take it with you just clean it out and use it to help you move :biggrin:.

JMHO...........

Paul B

^^^^^^^^
What he said..... you can't go wrong with a UDS and you'll enjoy some nice que while waiting for the nice new toy you have in mind....my $.02.

3 Rivers: I have a large family and i like to have a lot of friends over, so i want to get one that would allow me to cook enough ribs (my favorite) to feed at least 15-20 people.
As far as the UDS goes, how do I make one? What will the materials cost to make it?

3 Rivers: I have a large family and i like to have a lot of friends over, so i want to get one that would allow me to cook enough ribs (my favorite) to feed at least 15-20 people.
As far as the UDS goes, how do I make one? What will the materials cost to make it?

Oh man oh man! Get your reading glasses.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

You can spend from $25 - $250 on a UDS. I had around $30 in my first one. Once you have a UDS, you won't be looking for another cooker for a long time. It will easily handle enough ribs for 15 - 20 people. I have cooked 7 butts on mine at once. That was the most for me at one time. Started at just over 60 pounds on the grates.

Welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:

I have a Stumps, love it, and would recommend one without hesitation.

Oh man oh man! Get your reading glasses.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

You can spend from $25 - $250 on a UDS. I had around $30 in my first one. Once you have a UDS, you won't be looking for another cooker for a long time. It will easily handle enough ribs for 15 - 20 people. I have cooked 7 butts on mine at once. That was the most for me at one time. Started at just over 60 pounds on the grates.

ditto...add this one to your required reading list...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

Stumps is awesome, same for FEC's. However, the recommendations above are
correct. In this case, start cheap and VERY effective. Then, when you have a
few more dollars, really go get a nice one.

I also second third, whatever the stumps. While I didnt want to buy one, and built a clone instead (36x36x24 cook area) and I did it for 1000. and I LOVE IT. cooks great, long burn time, lots of area, and produces great food. Look into spice wines too, I have heard they are great too

I've got a Stumps Baby and love it. However, when I first began (which was about eight years ago) I started out on a very cheap low end grill/smoker offset.

The old timers will tell you that it's not the smoker it's the cook and ultimately they're right. Smokers like Stumps, FEC, Backwoods and other "expensive" units cut the "Baby sittin" of your unit WAY DOWN. But here's what they won't do:

1. They won't teach you that putting your meat in your unit while thick, gray and white smoke are puffing out of your smoker will make your Q taste like crap.

2. They won't teach you that having a good, hot, "clean" fire produces the best Q.

3. They won't teach you that soaking your wood chunks in water will make your fire smolder which will hinder point number 2 on this list and produce point number 1.

I guess my point is that the things that keep people from making great Q has nothing to do with the smoker but more to do with what the user knows or doesn't know about cooking meat on a grill/smoker. Experience accompanied with trial and error will ultimately make you a good Q'er.

My recommendation would be one or both of the following...

1. a 22-1/2 WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain)

2. A Big Green Egg (Large will run about $1000, XL about $1300)

If you cook for 15-20 people ALOT then you might consider the XL Egg

The WSM is a true smoker. It is a GREAT smoker. Easy to use and easy to control.

The BGE can smoke, grill, and bake. It'll pretty much do everything but the dishes.

If you want the best... Go BGE...

thanks guys, I'll look into making a USD. I believe i can probably acquire a 55 gallon drum for free. I'll try to make one when I get a chance. Feel free to give me anymore advice ya'll feel a rookie needs to know, and thanks for the advice already given

WOW. See BamaBuzzard's comments. Dead on. Also, GreasePig does mention
a really good point with the BGE's. An XL, while not cheap, has a pretty good
capacity, and you'll see many of these on the competition trail. Meaning, it'll
last a long time if treated well and serve other uses as your use changes over
the years...

with the uds, if you have to move you can disassemble it and take the grates, bolts etc with you and pick up another drum where ever you go!!:eusa_clap

OCCchopperbarbecue.jpg

This one would work good for a young dude on the move......​

Back