View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Saiko's Georgia Brunswick Stew, with Pron

There have been a few posts here recently about Brunswick Stew, so I though I would share my recipe and include some pics. As I have mentioned in other posts, there are tons of variations of Brunswick Stew. Most of the BBQ joints you find in Georgia will have their version on the menu, and will usually included pulled pork or BBQ chicken (or both), tomatoes and corn. After that, the variations are all over the map.
My recipe is based on an article in the local paper many years ago about the history of Brunswick stew, and included a few recipes. From those recipes I developed my original recipe, which I've tweaked over the years to include a few ingredients not in the original, such as BBQ sauce, rub and vinegar. I added these to bring the final result closer to what you would find in a BBQ joint compared to Brunswick you might find cooked at home. So here we go:

For the meat in the version I am making today, I am using 1 lb. of pulled pork and 1 lb. of rib trimmings from spares, all chopped. You can use any meat, as long as it's smoked (although a lot of recipes made at home don't use smoked meat, pretty much any version you get at a BBQ joint will).

Ingredients:

2 lb. chopped BBQ meat
2 TBSP of your favorite rub (I'm using Yardbird today)
2 28oz cans whole tomatoes, including the juice
2 11oz cans shoepeg corn (if you can't find shoepeg, just use any sweet)
1 1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce (I'm using Blue's Hog today)
2 cups water
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne (I use 1/2 tsp due to wifey)
1 tsp hot sauce
1 stick butter (please, no margarine)

Add the rub to the chopped meat and mix well with your hands.

Cut the whole tomatoes into large chunks and include the juice.

Add all the ingredients except the butter to a large crockpot. You don't HAVE to use a crockpot, but I like to cook mine for about 6 hours to maximize the smokey flavor of the meat.

Mix well, then throw the butter on top. I run on high heat until the butter is melted, then mix everything again and turn it down to low until time to serve. Usually about 6 hours.

That's it for now, I'll add pics to this thread as it cooks. I'll be eating this for dinner tonight along with a few reheated burnt ends. If you haven't tried Brunswick Stew before, give it a shot, it's a great way to use leftover BBQ!
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Last edited by Saiko; 09-22-2009 at 02:54 PM..
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->