Pork collar snake river

Scottie: I have no doubt that you do everything possible to ensure that you are not cheating and that should be acknowledged. You even go the extra step as you mentioned with reps and informing your neighbors if you have to relight your pit. I just want to ensure that before any one calls foul over the name of a cut of meat, that person should have the correctly named cut.

Chris: While I agree with you that it should be that way, from what has been posted in this thread, it is not that way. If it's the same cut but labeled something else when sold, it is not the same thing. If that's the rule, that's the rule, but we should all abide by it. I don't shop at RD, but what are their products labeled as when purchased? How are they marked when in the case?

And of course, I agree with keeping things legal, but how far are we going to go. The meat needs to be called something when purchased, but what is placed on the cooker can be some subset thereof, as long as it is >= 5 lb.. Weighing at meat inspection is much less important to me than weighing before the insertion into the cooker. Should the reps find out from each team what time the meat goes in and weigh it then? How far are we going to go here? And of course there's always the question, how do you ensure that the meat that was inspected, at meat inspection or at meat insertion, is the meat being served? You can go crazy being paranoid what other teams are doing and still not solve the problem.

btw, slightly off topic, but not, is there rule prohibiting non-competition meats from being cooked in any cooker at any point during a comp? Call it questionable if you want, but is it illegal?

dmp

I'm going to start having my butcher call my pork loin, white meat butt. Or the belly as bacon butt. that's all cool then? I mean, they are all attached at some point... :thumb:

No. That would be illegal.

If the cut is the upper part of the front shoulder (ie, Boston Butt, Pork Butt, Collar Trim Butt) it doesnt matter what you call it, its legal.

No. That would be illegal.

If the cut is the upper part of the front shoulder (ie, Boston Butt, Pork Butt, Collar Trim Butt) it doesnt matter what you call it, its legal.

The problem I see with the "collar is part of the butt" argument is that should the collar contain pieces of muscle/fat/sinew/vein/bone/grissle/etc that would not normally be a part of the butt. I would contend that even a single fiber of a muscle/whatever from something not contained in a shoulder, picnic, or butt would make the cut illegal, even if the offending piece was removed prior to cooking.

The problem I see with the "collar is part of the butt" argument is that should the collar contain pieces of muscle/fat/sinew/vein/bone/grissle/etc that would not normally be a part of the butt. I would contend that even a single fiber of a muscle/whatever from something not contained in a shoulder, picnic, or butt would make the cut illegal, even if the offending piece was removed prior to cooking.

I agree with all that, only the muscles that would be included in a traditional Boston Butt are legal. And I believe thats the case with the collar trim butt.

I don't shop at RD, but what are their products labeled as when purchased? How are they marked when in the case?

dmp

The 2-pack in my freezer that I recently purchased from my local Restaurant Depot is labeled "Pork Butts Bone In".

According to the official IMPS specifications for a Boston Butt, if you take a whole shoulder and cut off the picnic.... everything left above the picnic is a Boston Butt.....

But most people don't find them that way in their stores. Another horizontal cut has been made that removes the meat above what you are used to seeing. What remains though, is still a Boston Butt. So there is a lot of meat you aren't used to seeing on your Boston Butt that is still officially part of the Boston Butt.

So (at least) some Sam's clubs are selling "Pork Shoulder Butts", and (at least) some Restaurant Depots are selling "Pork Butts Bone In"....

Where's a boy to buy his pork?????? :p

Don't try to confuse the issue. You must be trying to cheat, otherwise you would understand the rule.

According to the official IMPS specifications for a Boston Butt, if you take a whole shoulder and cut off the picnic.... everything left above the picnic is a Boston Butt.....

But most people don't find them that way in their stores. Another horizontal cut has been made that removes the meat above what you are used to seeing. What remains though, is still a Boston Butt. So there is a lot of meat you aren't used to seeing on your Boston Butt that is still officially part of the Boston Butt.

from what I understand, the top isn't cut(ie money muscle) on a Boston butt.......only two parts come from the shoulder, the top and the bottom........name them what you want.

This video is the best way to see it........the money muscle is at the very top of the shoulder. This is a small pig

YouTube - Jeffrey Ruhalter how to butcher a pig

Back