• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket in the Freezer

RichardF

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have a cryovac'ed packer from COSTCO that I stuck in the freezer in July. What's a realistic life expectancy for a frozen brisket. Freezer is in the 20* F range.

It should be fine. Thaw it out. If it looks ok and smells ok, it should be fine.

thillin said:
It should be fine. Thaw it out. If it looks ok and smells ok, it should be fine.

What Ty said.

I double checked good ole Google.
All the food safety sites say 6 to 12 months is OK "to assure quality taste" and stuff like that :lol:
May not be "Primo" any more, but if it looks and smells OK--I would "cook on"!

tIM

no problem bro....12-14 months
I keep a glass of ice in the freezer.
As long as the ice stays in cubes you have never had a defrost.

smokincracker said:
What a good idea.

smokincracker said:

I love to learn something new every day :redface:

Thanks, Jimmy!

TIM

If nothing else you will probably be able to make the best pot of chili you've ever had.

The last sale on brisket I stocked up and found a hole in the cryovac when I got home. No problem since I was able to foodsaver it and made sure I cooked it fairly soon. Since then I've started filling the sink,cold water, and submerging them to look for leaks. Found one so far. Never thought to share that before, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of that.

RichardF said:
I have a cryovac'ed packer from COSTCO that I stuck in the freezer in July. What's a realistic life expectancy for a frozen brisket. Freezer is in the 20* F range.

Don't you know that what you did is considered a crime in some parts of the country? Consider yourself lucky.

I must be jonesin for brisket.

All I can tell you is I have my freezer set to -20 and I have two 12 - 15 pounders that I am smoking Friday. I have had them out since Monday and they are still half frozen. Mkae sure you give time to defrost. I am hoping to inject tommorow evening. The meat is still very red and looks good. I get mine from SYSCO and it is in the CRYOPAC (very thick and hard to punch a hole in). The key as mentioned is how does it look and smell....

Back