Mesquite

YetiDave

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi all, I just got a large bag of mesquite chunks and was planning on using some in a cook this weekend, probably for pulled pork or maybe some beef.. Just wondered how much to use? I usually give an 8/9lb shoulder 6 hours of pecan smoke but as I understand it mesquite can be considerably stronger. I was thinking 2 hours mesquite and 3 hours pecan?

Not sure as I don't recall ever using it. Maybe some here in the know will chime in.

Every time I have used it, everything tasted oversmoked. So for now, I have stopped using it. But you definitely have to give it just a little if you do.

I just use fewer chunks of mesquite for the cook and it works great. Never have mixed it with other woods so no help on that.

I use it all the time and on just about every cook. Love it. The key is to use it on a hot fire to get a clean burn. And yes, I mix it with all other woods. My favorite mix is Mesquite, Hickory and Pecan. This works esp. well on your primal cuts but I use it on almost everything.

I rarely use it and am very cautious with it when I do because it is so strong. A little puts a lot of smoke flavor on quickly. I would give it two fist size chunks of mesquite right at the beginning then go pecan the rest of the way.

I have all the free mesquite I can cut and use it quite often IN MODERATION. 1 split 3X8" is all I use on a Brisket in the UDS, mixed with post oak in the stick burner I use 3 in the whole cook. Personally I don't like it on Pork, a few little Bic lighter sized pieces is nice on Chicken.

love mesquite as others said got to keep fire going cannot let it smolder. I aso throw a little oak to offset the faster burn.

Mesquite does give a heavier smoke flavor, and being a West Texas boy, that is the flavor I prefer. The smoke flavor is what makes it BBQ to me, so I put on more smoke than many. As said above, if you prefer a lighter smoke, you will use less wood than with some of the other common varieties.

So do you guys go with a hotter temp and quicker time with Mesquite than with Hickory, etc.?

love mesquite as others said got to keep fire going cannot let it smolder. I aso throw a little oak to offset the faster burn.
This is good advice! The key to avoiding over smoking is to burn a good, hot fire that will make the wood combust every time you add it, with no smoldering wood which will create creosote. This is true with any wood and as long as you follow the above advice you will get the full benefit of the mesquite flavor without fear of bitterness or overwhelming smoke flavor.:wink:

So do you guys go with a hotter temp and quicker time with Mesquite than with Hickory, etc.?
Well mesquite is a lot more dense and does burn hotter than most other woods. It was one of the preferred fuels of the frontier blacksmith if that tells you anything! LOL! Because of it's heat generation it makes an excellent grilling wood and if you're smoking with it you will use less than other woods.

Back