• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

ABT question

grillfella

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey boys read somewhere that if you soak your cored out japs in sprite for 24 hrs it will take a lot of the heat away. Is this true?. I am doing an appetizer party Sat and I know the people won't be able to take the heat. any help would be appreciated:-D

I've never heard of that. The heat comes from capsaicin that is found mostly in the seeds and the ribs inside the pepper. If you remove the seeds and ribs (with as little smashing, breaking, tearing that will release the capsaicin and spread it on the rest of the pepper) then you'll get rid of most of the heat.

Since capsaicin is not really water soluble, I don't know how much soaking peppers in sprite would do... other than adding a sweet component to the peppers. It is fat and alcohol soluble so perhaps a soak in some oil or alcohol would help (which will pick up the heat and might be good to use for other applications).

thanks brother

No problem. I actually like to cut mine in half and make what has been called "ABT Boats" out of them. It makes for easy cleaning and stuffing, and I don't have to worry about ABT holders to hold the suckers upright. I recently (a few days ago) posted a thread with pics if you wanna take a look. :)

I';ve heard of people soaking them in whole milk, but not Sprite. Never tried either method, I just core, remove the veins and seeds and I'm happy.

No problem. I actually like to cut mine in half and make what has been called "ABT Boats" out of them. It makes for easy cleaning and stuffing, and I don't have to worry about ABT holders to hold the suckers upright. I recently (a few days ago) posted a thread with pics if you wanna take a look. :)

Will do:-D

All I can think of is that the CO2 (which forms the bubbles), may react in some way with the Capasicin molecule, but frankly don't know for sure. If it IS true, then you could forget the lemonade and try a tsp of Bi Carb Soda in water, and leave overnight. At least that would avoid the sweetness of the Sprite. Worth a try....

I've seen the Sprite treatment as a step as well ,and also don't remember where.
My wife can't do the sugars so I have to be careful what I mix up

It could be the citric and/or carbonic acid that is in Sprite that does something. I would think the acids would have a greater effect than the sweet or lemon component.

Just sayin'.

Never heard of it and naturally never did it. But I wouldn't try it either because they'd get soggy. Yuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also make boats. That reduces the amount of pepper in each turd. If you scrape out the membrane there won't be much heat left after their cooked. Just a light warmth.

Remember, the dairy (cream cheese), sweetness (brown sugar) and the heat will all conspire to kill the heat in the jalapenos. The only time I've had spicy ABTs was when I was careless about scraping out the innards and undercooked them so the jalapenos were still a bit crunchy.

I also make boats. That reduces the amount of pepper in each turd. If you scrape out the membrane there won't be much heat left after their cooked. Just a light warmth.

Remember, the dairy (cream cheese), sweetness (brown sugar) and the heat will all conspire to kill the heat in the jalapenos. The only time I've had spicy ABTs was when I was careless about scraping out the innards and undercooked them so the jalapenos were still a bit crunchy.

Just a few points based on my own experience...

There have been many manty times that I've gone and cleaned the peppers very carefully and still ended up with some obnoxious ones in the mix.

The spice-heat-mouthfeel shouldn't be affected by cooking.

Why not use a milder chili pepper, like an Anaheim or something else, for the folks that can't stand the heat?

I like to make them as hot as possible. Less people will eat them, which leaves more for my son and me. :)

Back