World BBQ Championships

B

BrooklynQ

Didn't they used to do this in the USA?

story538818e8d9de64e9e9fd1293cf0bcac3_160x120.jpg
In Russia, holding the perfect barbecue party is now seen as a symbol of prosperity Russia cooks up a storm
7.12AM, Mon Jul 3 2006

The first ever World Barbecue Championships has taken place in Russia.
It seems this cooking method, so far favoured by the West, is really catching on with our Russian cousins.

But it's not just about flexing culinary muscle. In Russia, holding the perfect barbecue party is now seen as a symbol of prosperity.

Rolf Zubler is Chairman of the World Barbecue Association - he reckons the barbie experience is taking over eastern parts of the world and hopes that one day it can reach China.

Outdoor chefs filled the air with the aroma of grilling meat and vegetables in a variety of creative marinades.

A case of, put another sausage on the barb-ski, comrade.

After speaking to the Klose factory this week, I can only imagine the cost of shipping a Back Yard Chefski to Moscow.

yeah, its called the Jack Daniels WORLD championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
They probably meant the first World Barbecue Association event was held in Russia. The WBA Championship is in about it's 8th year and has been held twice inn the US. Once in Tennessee and again in California. I've cooked at the one in Tennessee and the one in Jamaica a few years back.This year it's in Poland.

Here's the link. http://www.wbqa.com/

Cool Ray! Cooking a contest in Jamaica had to be fun! Plenty of rum to drink!

BBQchef33 said:
yeah, its called the Jack Daniels WORLD championship.

Hey Phil,

As cooks, we all covet the invite to the Jack Daniel's contest. They can call it anything they want, but it's not a true championship. When they leave out some of the best cooks in the country just to gain press in far reaching places, it's a publicity event rather than a true world championship. Don't get me wrong, I want to go just as bad or worse than the next guy. However, the American Royal Invitational is the contest where everyone who has won a qualifying event is invited. Much closer to the being a world championship in my opinion.

Happy 4th of July to all!

Rod

Last edited:
Back