Weekend cook...first brisket

jamus34

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so I said I wanted to cook a brisket before the summer was out...well I missed that deadline (mostly because it took me 3 months to find someone who sells full packers not trimmed flats for $5.99 / lb)

So Anyway...doing a butt and a brisket and going to throw on some Snausages later in the cook.

Here's some early pics. One question...I'm going to try to "wrap in parchement / butcher paper" method (since I've yet to find someplace that sells butcher paper)...when do you's guys usually pull it to wrap and finish the cook?

Attachments

• Butt.jpg
    Butt.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 141
  • full packer.jpg
    full packer.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 141
  • smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 141
Good luck!

I don't wrap based on temperature. I wrap when the bark is the color that I want.

I wrap mine after 4 hrs ( I cook at 300) it goes back on the pit until probe tender and and gets rested in the same wrap on the kithchen counter until the IT drops to 150

What is this whole wrapping thing? Isn't that what the hippty hop talkers do?

I typically go nekkid the entire time. The only time I consider wrapping the meat is when the color gets to where I want it at before it is done, or if the edges start to scorch.

Thanks for the tips everyone...I just stirred the coals (probably going to need to add some lump since it's breezy today and I'm starting to bleed degrees.

Color is starting to look good so I'll wrap it in a bit and let it ride!

I'll do my best to post up the results.

Don't wrap it until it has the color and the bark that you want, or if you think it needs to be. Wrapping just for the sake of wrapping has no purpose. If you do wrap, add about a half cup of Worcestershire sauce in there.

Ok, so I think I probably could have left the brisket on for another half an hour or so and I picked a real crappy shoulder (wayyy too much fat for my liking) but all in all it was a good cook and not disappointing.

Attachments

• pork pulled.jpg
    pork pulled.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 68
  • bend test.jpg
    bend test.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 68
  • brosket done.jpg
    brosket done.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 67
  • brisket squeeze.jpg
    brisket squeeze.jpg