Using gas at KCBS sanctioned events?

B

Banjoman'sBBQ

It is very clear that "Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding" per KCBS 2013 R&Rs.

I'm splitting hairs here, but can an alternate heat source, (gas, sterno, etc.) be used to heat a sauce that would be applied to competition meat, since it is not being used in the "cooking or holding" process of the eat itself.

Thoughts?

yes. you just cant have the meat over that heat source at any time... So you can heat the sauce and apply it to the meat, but you cant dunk said meat in the sauce while it is still on the burner...

We cooked at a comp this weekend and looked at a trailer that was the same style we were thinking about buying. The team gave us a tour and gave us all the pros and cons about it. I saw that they had two ovens set up with propane tanks connected. They said they used them for catering and not during comps. I told them that I would disconnect them just to make sure no one thought they were using them - just remove any doubt. Who knows what goes on in those trailers though :shock:

There was a scuffle in early 2011 at a KCBS event about propane being used to heat sauce and other process like melting butter, and if I recall correctly several teams were DQ'd. The discussion was that butane was acceptable but not propane, most people thought that the Rep was being a bit over zealous. It was acknowledged that he was in the strict guidelines of the rules but the issue was swept away pretty quick. I do not recall what ever happened in the long run

We switched over to butane stoves in case

Cheers

Heating the sauce on the smoker works well for us.
Jars of sauce in a foil pan of water. Make sure you loosen the lid.

The discussion was that butane was acceptable but not propane, most people thought that the Rep was being a bit over zealous.

Really? I can't see that it makes any difference if it's propane, butane, microwave, solar power, or a flux capacitor. It's not charcoal or wood. You can heat sauce that way, but not meat. The rep advisories don't make any distinction between butane and propane. [They also don't say anything about heating sauce, maybe they should. It's a pretty common practice.]

I had thought that Dutch Ovens could be heated with any heat source as long as meat isn't in it, but the rep advisories say otherwise:

4.03 Dutch Ovens
Question: Are Dutch Ovens legal to use to cook in?

Opinion: It was decided by the Board of Directors that it is LEGAL to cook in a Dutch oven (charcoal or wood heat only). It is also LEGAL to hold barbecue in a Dutch oven as long as it is charcoal or wood heat source. February 17, 2006

Last edited:
There was a scuffle in early 2011 at a KCBS event about propane being used to heat sauce and other process like melting butter, and if I recall correctly several teams were DQ'd. The discussion was that butane was acceptable but not propane, most people thought that the Rep was being a bit over zealous. It was acknowledged that he was in the strict guidelines of the rules but the issue was swept away pretty quick. I do not recall what ever happened in the long run

We switched over to butane stoves in case

Cheers

Were you there, or is this just something that you heard?

Really? I can't see that it makes any difference if it's propane, butane, microwave, solar power, or a fux capacitor.

I believe you are referring to the ingenious flux capacitor made famous by Doctor Emmett Brown.
The fux capacitor? not sure what that is but might have seen one Friday night with Alan Burke :biggrin1:

I believe you are referring to the ingenious flux capacitor made famous by Doctor Emmett Brown.
The fux capacitor? not sure what that is but might have seen one Friday night with Alan Burke :biggrin1:

I think there were all sorts of things seen on Friday night in Atlantic City :becky:

Back