Snakebit Polocks

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well we planned to cook at the Rock 'N Ribfest in Nashua this weekend but it was not to be. On I-95 just before I-91 in Connecticut the U-Bolts securing the right side of the axel on the cooker came off. My brother trailers the cooker and he felt a bump. When looking thru the rear view mirror he did not see the cooker but when he looked thru the side view mirror the cooker was being dragged on an angle. Luckly this happened at 2AM Saturday morning so no other vehicles were involved. It took a number of hours to get a flat bed tow truck to get the cooker to a repair facility. By 9AM the cooker had been taken to a trailer dealer and by 10AM the cooker was finally repaired. At that point we were all pretty shaken and tired from being up all night we decided to just pack it in. At the trailer dealer we discovered that the U-Bolts were simply never tightened. We checked the U-Bolts on the other side and they were also loose. Ben Lang is going to hear my frustration tomorrow as the cooker is only 9 months old. The dealer discovered that the U-Bolts were also the wrong size. When looking for a tow truck we called AAA and they wanted to have nothing to do with us. We were told they do not cover trailers and were hung up on. We would like to thank Liberty Mutual because even though we have no trailer coverage they found us a towing company that would help us. We look forward to cooking this contest nexf year and are very sad we missed it this year.

Guy, sorry to hear of your mis-fortune. Just glad no one was hurt or no more damage done. Too bad you missed the comp. Hope everything works out for you.

Damn that blows, Guy! But contests come and go... just glad you're safe and that it didn't cause an accident!!

Guy, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but very glad that no one was hurt and none of your gear serously damaged.

Better luck next time Brother!!

Thank you Jeff and Qman. It really scared the heck out of us and really put things in perspective.

Too bad Guy... we know you and team were really geared up for this one.... Glad no one got hurt... it's a shame the cooker needed repair already after only a few rides... Good Luck in dealing with Lang tomorrow.

guy.. glad everyones ok.. and the cooker survived too... I think Richie from lostnation had a similar experience with his Lang.. If I remember correctly, i think last year at Bel aire.. the trailler broke on the way to the contest and they hauled there trialer pit into the contest on a rented Uhaul.

Richie.. u out there??

Sorry to hear about this. Glad all is okay.
just another reason to pre-inspect ANY trailer before hauling it.

Vinny,

We are dissapointed but happy nobody got hurt. We are seriously going to have a look at Spicewine We will keep the Lang also because it is pre-disastered and unlikely to happen again.

Damn, Sawdustguy! It seems as though you are taking this pretty well. I know had that been I, Mr. Lang and I would have been talking at 2 a.m.. Good luck at the next one and glad everyone is safe. That is the important part........or is it???????

Thanks all. I just thank God we are ok so we get to cook another day.

BBQchef33 said:
guy.. glad everyones ok.. and the cooker survived too... I think Richie from lostnation had a similar experience with his Lang.. If I remember correctly, i think last year at Bel aire.. the trailler broke on the way to the contest and they hauled there trialer pit into the contest on a rented Uhaul.

Richie.. u out there??

Phil,

There was some damage but nothing a few pieces of sheet steel and a welder couldn't fix.

Guy--
No one hurt--priceless.

You will live to combat another day!

TIM

Had the same thing happen with a brand new F-150. Scary as hell, and glad no one was hurt! Keep us up to date as far as how Ben handles the situation. I have heard that if you have a problem, Ben will have you take it to a shop, and he will take care of the expenses. Good luck and God bless!

Also, this is a good reminder for all of us to check our trailers. Bearings, breakes, wheels, lights are all things that are impacted by long sitting times. Take care!

nmayeux said:
Had the same thing happen with a brand new F-150. Scary as hell, and glad no one was hurt! Keep us up to date as far as how Ben handles the situation. I have heard that if you have a problem, Ben will have you take it to a shop, and he will take care of the expenses. Good luck and God bless!

Also, this is a good reminder for all of us to check our trailers. Bearings, breakes, wheels, lights are all things that are impacted by long sitting times. Take care!
You are absolutely right, Noah! A lesson we learned the hard way but then again we are Polocks.

Bummer! I heard their was some pretty happy competitors once they heard the polocks werent coming!

Gents,

I am truely touched by the concern and well wishes you have all expressed this evening. I just want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I am sincerely proud to be one of your brothers in smoke. I have never met such a special group of people in all my life, and thats alot coming from a hardass such as myself. Thank you all again. :smile::smile::smile::smile:

BBQchef33 said:

Richie.. u out there??

Your right Phil, I snapped off a spindle on the axle ( saw the tire roll by me) after hitting a huge pot hole. My pit was overloaded and we had stiffened the axle to carry the weight, I think we made the axle to stiff and our problem was just waiting to happen. I then had the pit loaded on a Uhaul and went cooking. Here is a link to my site with pictures of my problem. http://www.lostnationvt.com/rte17.htm
We have since changed the suspension on the pit and we check everything in the running gear everytime we hit the road. Glad to hear Guy is OK, he missed a wet cold weekend.

Bummer!!! Glad no one was hurt!! I have had alot of tire issues with my motorhome so I feel your pain. If I was the Pit builder, I would be pissing my pants and praying that I don't get a Law Suit!! That is why we weld our axels on.

Spice

Glad you guys were OK, Guy! That had to be a sick feeling.... Good luck with Lang - it sounds like he needs both barrels!

Back