Chinese FiveSpice Fried Ribs

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
jeanie
I make these in the house a lot and wanted to see what they would be like on the smoker.

I rubbed the ribs with some fivespice powder...then placed them in the smoker with a bit of apple and pecan wood.

004-8-3.jpg

After 2 hours, I foiled with a mixture of
5 whole star anise (you can use 1 tsp anise seed)
3 TBS sherry
3 TBS soy
1 tsp salt
3 tsp sugar
chopped onion
minced fresh ginger ( about 1 TBS)

After placing mixture in a measuring cup, I added enough water to bring it up to 2 cups.

013-4-2.jpg

015-5-1.jpg

I poured the mixture into the foil with the ribs meat side down...
019-5-2.jpg

Then continued on the smoker for another 2 hours...

022-2-1.jpg

I cut the ribs into serving sized pieces...

030-2-1.jpg

Rolled in cornstarch and fried til light brown...

032-3-1.jpg

039-7-1.jpg

After frying I sprinkle the ribs with a bit of Fivespice Salt
( a mixture of 1 TBS fivespice powder and 5 TBS kosher salt)

The Fivespice Fried Ribs with a few spring rolls....

069-1-1.jpg

The ribs are lightly crunchy on the outside, but tender and moist on the inside..

070-1.jpg

The ribs were tasty, but the smoke flavor did not come through.
The fivespice, ginger, soy, sherry and other flavorings overpowered the smoke. I enjoyed them though and will probably just make them in the house next time and save my wood. lol

Thanks for checking out my fried ribs.

It looks great and the "work" is half the fun. Eating is for critics..in a twist on the old saying...good food is when opportunity and preparation collide

Cowgirl,

The "rolling in cornstarch" then frying is something I'm not familiar with. Is the cornstarch supposed to make a crust of some sort?

JimT

I love the 5 spice on wings never thought about it for ribs. Will have to give this a try.

Yep, cowgirl, one of these days you're gonna have to tell me how to get to your place for dinner. Looks great. My better half wants to know what's in the spring rolls.

I rushed in thinkin we had another smoked 6 hours then deep fried in a turkey fryer fan. This is good too though. Good Job

Thank you! You're all too kind. :cool:

JimT, the cornstarch gives them a very light crispy coating. Combined with the five spice salt sprinkled on at the end...makes them pretty tasty.

Fastball, I made the springrolls with some shredded napa cabbage, minced onion, chopped cooked shrimp, mint leaves, shredded carrots...and some bean sprouts. I think that was all. lol
I used rice wrappers, you just soak in water for a few minutes then fill and roll.

lol WineMaster, if I hear a knock at my door today, I'll think of you. :biggrin:

Thank you again folks! :cool:

Those Springrolls look awsome too.
Bet they would be good with a little of that flaked Cod in em.
Your a great cook! Presentation Rocks

Dan

Those Springrolls look awsome too.
Bet they would be good with a little of that flaked Cod in em.
Your a great cook! Presentation Rocks

Dan

Dan thank you!!!
I bet that smoked cod would be tasty in a spring roll...thanks for the idea I will try it next time. :cool:

Back