SRF Berkshire Pork Shoulder Cook

That looks awesome Bill! I had one in the cart also but before I pressed the "order" button I went and checked the freezer and no capacity. :sad: Next time for sure. Great post. :thumb:

Out of the oven... 4 Hours smoke, 4 hours panned and covered in the oven...

The bark more or less dissolved during it's time in the oven plus there was so little external fat.
View attachment 171123

The bones pulled with no effort just grabbed hold of them with tongs and they released.

View attachment 171124

Pretty much filled a full size hotel/steam table pan.

View attachment 171125

Once chilled I will vac seal in approximately 1 pound bags and put into the freezer for future meals. I am very pleased with the results, nice subtle smoke, incredibly tender and moist, and a really deep rich pork flavor and not in the least fatty. My wife said it was the best pulled pork she has ever eaten. That says a lot considering no rub just a little salt applied to the exterior about 15 min prior to going into the smoker. I am really happy I have another in the freezer and will definitely buy more of these from SRF.

I will 100% agree. My mother isn't much for BBQ in general (brisket/ribs/pulled pork etc) but she couldn't resist this! I have never had pork be so tender/juicy as compared to this Berkshire shoulder.

The finished product looks really good, and I can't believe only 8 hours of cooking time. Mine would easily go 15 or 16 hours, then 3 or 4 for resting. I've had Berkshire ribs so I can only imagine the flavor of the shoulder.

Some of the darker colored muscles around the bones on the picnic really compliment the meat from the butt. It's a pleasure to cook something with that kind of mass.

Nicely done Bill!

I'm a fan of Berkshire pork, luckily for me there's a coop of farmers in the area that have a retail outlet in Ankeny that sells it. No confinement pigs either, they are raised in hoop barns and let out to roam in good weather.

The finished product looks really good, and I can't believe only 8 hours of cooking time. Mine would easily go 15 or 16 hours, then 3 or 4 for resting. I've had Berkshire ribs so I can only imagine the flavor of the shoulder.

Some of the darker colored muscles around the bones on the picnic really compliment the meat from the butt. It's a pleasure to cook something with that kind of mass.

Yeah I would have expected a longer cook and due to a storm moving in shoulder was only on the smoker for 4 hours then panned and covered in the oven at 325 so that sped things up significantly.

Well based on what I vac sealed and ate for dinner last night got just under 13 pounds of meat. Very happy with the yield, I think it was due to SRF had trimmed it so close, the natural marbling of the Berkshire and finishing covered in the oven.

Bill,

I've never gone top shelf on butts before. Was there a noticeable flavor difference?

From mine and my wife's perspective the meat has a richness without being fatty. I used to cook a lot of supermarket butts and while I enjoyed the end product the flavor IMO was more dependent on the rub, this particular shoulder and free range Duroc's I have smoked can and do stand on their own without a rub. The main reason we have gone to free range heritage pork is my wife gets sore joints from supermarket commodity/factory raised pork, she does not have that issue with the heritage pork that is raised free range and better feed stuffs. Now I don't know if that is due to the feed or the fact these heritage breeds meat has a higher Ph.

Back