first request for pit, and concerns

rehab6

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
i have been away for a while (dusting myself off) due to a few injuuries and the such...

well, just got a call a few minutes ago, from a local fire department in taylorsville, indiana requesting me and my pit, Rehab 6 to help with a fund raiser. ironically this call came about 10 minutes after hobbling back in the house, after trying to walk on my pit. didn't go so well.

due to a slight mishap, i kinda shattered my leg in november, after having been on crutches from a knee injury in october. will be a while before i can walk without sticks, and i am hoping it will be in time to let the fire department use the pit. they are wanting to raise money to get a bus to go to the national fallen firefighter memorial, because a firefighter on the department, and friend of mine, passed away when returning from a run.

i am beyond a bit concerned on if i will be ready to work the event and how all this will work out. realizing i am beyond rusty, damaged, needing to make mods to the pit.

racing thru my mind are things like; will i be able to run around the pit with healing process, will the pit hold up (not a lot of cook time on the pit, it was finished late last year and haven't had a chance to really play with it, what would be a good setup of meat to cook for their fund raiser - thinking pulled pork sandwiches, and wanting to make sure it all comes together because of the cause.

anyone else ever look at their pit and get a bit overwhelmed before?

it seemed like the thing to do - the pit is built up on a trailer
rehab6.jpg

and hobbling around it is a bit tricky

You may have to adjust your goals a bit. I have been suffering through a lot of leg issues, more nagging than shattering. But, sometimes, I simply can't walk much. Those times, I let others do the moving and I do the directing. It is a little harder on the ego, but, if you can get a couple of guys with a little bit of understanding, you can sit there and direct the process. Nice pit too.

El Lobo,
I'm actually in the process of revamping a site just for it, will lat ya know when it is done. will have photos of build process and everything, including a video i did of it while being built. can't do much else, so might as well lol

it seemed like the thing to do - the pit is built up on a trailer
rehab6.jpg

and hobbling around it is a bit tricky

Reminds me of pic's of Zulu warriors in Africa with their spear and one leg raised up :heh:

Nice looking pit :thumb:

i might have had a little captain that day... hehehe

I shattered my knee(tibia plateau, 9 screws and a plate, bone graphs and meniscus gone) in July 2007. I cooked my next contest that October and a friend helped me cook for basketball tourney in Nov. I was still partially in a wheelchair then. I never could have done any of that without friends. You can do it, just not alone. I say get on the horse and ride. Good Luck! it'll be worth it.

I think indianagriller is offering to help and he's not far away. Way to go indianagriller!

Last edited:
Rehab6, you know im down for helping, Drake was a good friend to me at the Sheriffs Office as well. Let me know when it is, if you dont think you pit can handle it i can bring the Ole Hickory. J'ville Grill, Rehab and I were involved in a little bit of a friendly competition earlier this year at a local Rib and Chicken event. (which we won ribs! lol)

Rehab6, you know im down for helping, Drake was a good friend to me at the Sheriffs Office as well. Let me know when it is, if you dont think you pit can handle it i can bring the Ole Hickory. J'ville Grill, Rehab and I were involved in a little bit of a friendly competition earlier this year at a local Rib and Chicken event. (which we won ribs! lol)

It's great to see a brethren help another out for a good cause. Sorry to hear about your mutual loss of a friend. But congrats on your rib win.

Back