Question about Sam's Club BBQ tour

sdbbq1234

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Couple of questions:

I thought I read something about the Contests that there is no water provided.

Also could have sworn I read where electricity is not always provided either.

Am I getting old (too old maybe) and imagining things? :crazy:

We have never been to a Sam's event.

Thanks.

wallace

Always had electricity. Water was usually from a spigot on the side of the host store.

What they are talking about is being able to hook up their trailers or rv's to a water source. Just bring some buckets and grab a shopping cart.

What they are talking about is being able to hook up their trailers or rv's to a water source. Just bring some buckets and grab a shopping cart.

I like the shopping cart idea. But, it is always nice to have a hose on site; I am one messy cook!

Thanks.

wallace

Last year I borrowed 5 of the 5 Gallon Igloo drink coolers from my fathers work, and we used those. That way we could dispense it easily.

The bad part was we had to heat the water on a propane burner so we could have hot water for dish washing.

Last year I borrowed 5 of the 5 Gallon Igloo drink coolers from my fathers work, and we used those. That way we could dispense it easily.

The bad part was we had to heat the water on a propane burner so we could have hot water for dish washing.

You have other comps with hot water provided?

Couple of questions:

I thought I read something about the Contests that there is no water provided.

Also could have sworn I read where electricity is not always provided either.

Am I getting old (too old maybe) and imagining things? :crazy:

We have never been to a Sam's event.

Thanks.

wallace
The one at Laurel was a haul water event, but a shopping cart and a couple of buckets made that easy. We had generator power that was sufficient. You couldn't run an RV with it but it was good for lights and stuff. The biggest issue we had at the Laurel Sam's was they only had one grey water container and it was quite a distance from the team (and it was too small)

Part of my initial competition setup was to boil 6 gallons of water. About five gallons of that went into the an orange water cooler, and the other gallon (ish) was used to wash the first load of dishes. The cooler kept it hot all day, and warm into the next. I even have a nice scar on my arm where I tried to rinse it off straight out of the cooler and scalded myself quite nicely. I've thought about buying an instant-hot a few times, but the expense just never seems justifiable with the setup that I have.

dmp

Part of my initial competition setup was to boil 6 gallons of water. About five gallons of that went into the an orange water cooler, and the other gallon (ish) was used to wash the first load of dishes. The cooler kept it hot all day, and warm into the next. I even have a nice scar on my arm where I tried to rinse it off straight out of the cooler and scalded myself quite nicely. I've thought about buying an instant-hot a few times, but the expense just never seems justifiable with the setup that I have.

dmp

+1
Igloo 5 gallon contractors cooler, I actually fill it at home, from the hot water tank, before we leave for the comp and it stays hot (enough) for a day or so.
We then use an electric tea kettle to "bump" it as we use it.

I have a 10 gallon igloo drink cooler that I fill with hot water from my kitchen tap right before I leave home. Stays hot through the next afternoon.

You really wanna get me talking about insulation and thermodynamics on another thread? Or E&M?

Coolers...how do they keep hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold?

sorta like magnets. how do they work?

Coolers I get, Magnets not so much.

I got a used Coleman Hot Water on-demand off of craigslist in 2009 when I first started competing. Perhaps the best investment of all the crap I carry around.

At the Sam's contests I've attended, they provided 20 A power and no water. It gets real old when its 90+ degrees to haul water, especially when you pay $250.

Also be aware the power is short-lived. As I remember they didn't turn it on until Friday afternoon and cut it off shortly after awards.

The Sam's events are simply not about amenities. It's a money shoot-out in a parking lot, not camping at a festival.

I don't understand the complaining, it's Sam's Club not Caesar's Palace.

Sure, it's nice when a comp has golf carts and volunteers to bring it to you, but I don't consider it the norm. With paved lots and shopping carts, getting water is easy.

I've cooked 4 Sam's comps and only encountered an elect issue once - that was because the team beside us kept running a microwave.

I for one, like that Sam's doesn't go the extra mile on amenities and keeps much of the budget in the prizes.

Back