Stumps Elite 8 clone

BRTLATJGT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a Stump's clone--Elite 8. Just curious about how big the the opening needs to be into cooking chamber and also size of firebox and size and location of the vent. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would like to just buy one but 3500 bucks is too much for me right now.

If ya think $3500 is too much see how much they are in 30 or 60 days.I would expect to see pit builders raising prices in a short while.I have heard that the steel market is going to get real ugly.I have built a clone and much of the info can be gleaned from googling Prairie BBQ

I work at at a machine shop so I know about material prices---they've skyrocketed last few years!

Still priced out what I need and it's a fraction of the cost of buying as with anything.

I've checked out prairie and found some helpful people and will continue to check back. Most of the dimensions are from older stumps models. Really curious as to the new mod's implented. Either way I'll start building pretty soon.

My thoughts are that you can build a better stumps without the profit making in mind. Mine is a GF223 and the outer metal is so thin it actually has ripples in it. The paint job is also of poor quality. The smoker does a great job though and I love the gravity feed. I have done quite well with it in contests too.

I think the new elite series was just an attempt to charge an additional $1000 for it. It was possibly the brain child of Maple Hollow. I also am under the understanding that Stump is not very happy with his partnership with Maple Hollow/Viking Stores.

I was eyeballin one of the elites at The Big Pig Gig in Menominee Falls last fall.The one I was looking at looked decent but I wonder how well it works if your not using the Guru.Some of us cloners are having burn out issues in the chute.And one of the things implied was that the maybe some of us were using too heavy of metal for the skin and retaining too much heat.Tony have you looked in the area inside the chute around where the tube delivers the heat/smoke to the cook chamber?I used 14 ga.for all of the skin inside and out.IF I remember correct Walter said he uses 16 ga.But my memeory is shorter then my.....I wish him the best with his merge with Viking as when he has come to the Prairie site he has treated us folks copying his product nicely.I actually have 2 more started with different ideas in the works.One will have a tapered chute.I had a conversation with a fella from Minnesota who burnt his legs badly when he had a bridge in the chute and had the ashbox door open and was trying to free up the charcoal in the chute.So I think any more I play with will have tapered chutes.

Back