• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Goodwill Cast Iron Score

Just for general info, we have a cast iron one of these and 2 thick cast aluminum ones....the aluminum ones kind of suck, except they're lighter and easier to carry. I LOVE the CI one!

I use 50/50 water and white vinegar for rust also. No more then 4 hours. That's a good score.

Just send it to me and I'll clean it. I'll might even send it back when I'm done! :thumb:

Thanks, gang! I probably won't mess with it for a couple of days since we have family coming over tomorrow.

Nice score Ron!

I've used the oven cleaning cycle to clean cooking residue from CI. I don't think it will do anything to the rust. (And If you ever decide to try that, do it on a day when you can open all of the windows! It put out enough smoke to set off fire alarms all over the house.) For rust I would use a mild abrasive such as a Scotch brite pad or steel wool to remove the loose stuff. Anything tight will be sealed over by the seasoning.

I've seasoned some stuff using the routine recommended here: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Fat little pancakes made with buckwheat flour sound like something I would like!

Nice find, Ron! I found an identical one at a moving sale a couple of months ago for 8 bucks. It has a little rust but not much. I thought it was an egg poacher? :doh: Thanks gang for your never ending knowledge!! Now I know what it's really for! BTW, I have an electrolysis tank set up. Now THAT'S the way to remove rust! :thumb: It's real simple to do, with absolutely no damage to the original piece.

Nice score Ron!

I've used the oven cleaning cycle to clean cooking residue from CI. I don't think it will do anything to the rust. (And If you ever decide to try that, do it on a day when you can open all of the windows! It put out enough smoke to set off fire alarms all over the house.) For rust I would use a mild abrasive such as a Scotch brite pad or steel wool to remove the loose stuff. Anything tight will be sealed over by the seasoning.

I've seasoned some stuff using the routine recommended here: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Fat little pancakes made with buckwheat flour sound like something I would like!

I was wondering what the self-clean cycle would do to the rust. I was just about to ask.

Nice find, Ron! I found an identical one at a moving sale a couple of months ago for 8 bucks. It has a little rust but not much. I thought it was an egg poacher? :doh: Thanks gang for your never ending knowledge!! Now I know what it's really for! BTW, I have an electrolysis tank set up. Now THAT'S the way to remove rust! :thumb: It's real simple to do, with absolutely no damage to the original piece.

Thanks... I bookmarked that site.

I doubt it would be worth building an electrolysis tank, but I did read on how to do it.

I've never made aebelskivers, but I have some camping friends that make them in a pan just like that. Very tasty.

I have no idea what poffertjes are.

CD

That's an amazing score, Ron! I'm very jealous right now!! :fish:
You're gonna get incredible treats outta that thing! :thumb:

No idea what aebelskivers, poffertjes or takoyaki are but you could always do chicken thighs in it.

congrats on a great find ! wife has one of these by bethany housewares. bought it for $4 frome someone who didn't know what it was. bought it about 20 years ago. still brand new as she uses her moms old aluminum pan one.
41xmS8xBA5L.jpg

i have found many a good deals at the second hand store. got like 4, 6 in lodge pans
and a few skillets also. last one was a brand new wagner ware 10 1/2 skillet. just had a very light spotting of rust. cleaned up easily with salt and some scrubbing.

Back