What do I do with this rib roast?

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So we decided to do prime rib for Christmas instead of turkey. My dad wanted to pay for it so he went and bought these two choice boneless rib roasts. Which was a nice gesture and a lot easier on my wallet. :thumbup:

My question is since it's not in a cryo wrap, will it keep in the grocery wrapping or what? Would it be a good idea to unwrap them and leave them in the fridge to age till Christmas?

5areguvy.jpg

I would not unwrap and put into the fridge, you have 10 days before you cook it.

There are many reasons that butchers don't typically age meat these days. For aging to properly improve the quality of a cut of meat, it should contain substantial marbling. This means that there is fat evenly distributed throughout the meat. Only the highest grades have this kind of marbling and make aging successful and worthwhile.

Dry aging is done by hanging meat in a controlled, closely watched, refrigerated environment. The temperature needs to stay just above freezing. Too warm and the meat will spoil, too cold and it will freeze, stopping the aging process. You also need a humidity of about 85 percent to reduce water loss. To control bacteria you need a constant flow of air all around the meat, which means it needs to be hanging in a well ventilated space. The last and most important ingredient in this process is an experienced butcher to keep a close eye on the aging meat. There is a thin line between aged and spoiled.

Because a refrigerator is more of a dehumidifier and removes moisture, and does not have a good ventilated airflow, I would freeze it and then 2 days before cooking, put in the fridge for a slow cold thaw.

Also read... http://bbq.about.com/cs/beef/a/aa030301a_2.htm

Last edited:
Yep, I think I agree with Madman for the most part. I would pull it out of the freezer earlier that that, only cuz when I do mine I like to get it all rubbed down with my spices about 2-3 days ahead of the cook. So I guess I'd freeze it now and pull it out about the 20th for the cold thaw. I then cook mine on my Weber roto and have had great results.

I've dry aged a few starting a few years ago. Here's the latest on day 1:

photo-117.jpg

and at around 10 days:

Photo1-88.jpg

It'll be around 20 or 21 days come Christmas. My butcher at the time told me this method: sit it on a cutting board and let it do its thing. It's gotta be around 34 or 36 degrees. No more than 36 though. This will not work in a heavily traveled refrigerator - it needs to be one that is rarely opened, like a garage or beer fridge. I've never tried it with non-prime graded meat, so I can't speak to that. '

This is what I do and it's been giving me fanfarkingtastic results. YMMV!

Yep, I think I agree with Madman for the most part. I would pull it out of the freezer earlier that that, only cuz when I do mine I like to get it all rubbed down with my spices about 2-3 days ahead of the cook. So I guess I'd freeze it now and pull it out about the 20th for the cold thaw. I then cook mine on my Weber roto and have had great results.

What do you rub your with, if you don't mind me asking?

It's pretty near impossible to get bacteria into the MIDDLE of a piece of solid beef flesh that resides in a reasonably clean refrigerator on a clean surface. Air flow is good (I run the cord of my small electric sushi rice fan past the seal on the fridge door), as is using a less used second fridge. Beyond that, if you age over a week (preferred), the outside of the roasts will look/be funky and you will trim this off before cooking. Wash your knife after EACH shave/slice/cut as you trim it and don't roll the clean newly exposed inside meat onto parts of the cutting board surface that the outside untrimmed part has touched. The inside will have a wonderfully extra-pronounced beefy flavor and tenderness that will mesmerize your taste buds and your guests. No worries, age it and you will be very glad you did! FWIW, I then slather with butter, rub with kosher salt and a standard herbs de provence blend, the standard for prime rib. Smoke to 120, QUICK sear whole, then rest loosely tented for 20 minutes, slice, and have a foodgasm in your mouth!

Not to contradict anyone.IF it were mine,I would unwrap,place on a rack over a drip pan and put it in the fridge until I wanted to cook it provided my fridge did not get over 36f.60 days is about as long as I would go,after that there are diminishing returns.This is just my opinion based on previous experiences,SEVERAL prior experiences.

^^^I like that idea about the rack over the pan - I might do that. :thumb:

i think we'd been natural selected to like "aged" beef. leave it uncovered (throw a box of baking soda in the corner of your fridge next to the beef). no worries bruh. 10 days is nothing. on christmas day shave off a thin layer off the surface. Decide if you want yorkshire pudding. If not cover the whole thing with a layer of coarse sea salt on the day of the cook. enjoy.

Fingerlickin': "What do you rub your with, if you don't mind me asking?"

I rub mine down with worcestershire, Montreal steak seasoning and extra granulated garlic. I usually have the boneless prime rib and try to get this rubbed 2-3 days ahead of time. On the rotisserie at about 250* with some mesquite for smoke. Cook to IT of 125*, off the Q to rest while I get my Q temps up above 400*or hotter and then put the rib back on for 10 minutes or so to give it a nice crust. It has worked well for me, generally get great reviews.

Enjoy your cook.

As to the dry aging time frame, you need to rely on the info from those above, as I've never done that myself, just may have to try it some time.

No matter WHAT you do regarding aging, I've done a herb and garlic paste for my prime ribs in the past and they've turned out fantastic.

I put coriander seeds, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fresh parsley, a chitload of fresh garlic, kosher salt, whole peppercorns and enough EVOO in a food processor to make a nice paste (while grinding, just add the oil until it's "pasty".

Then, rub that herbalicious goodness all over the roast and smoke it in about a 325-350 degree smoker with oak or mesquite or hickory (or a blend) until the IT is about 115. THEN, reverse sear it by transfering it to a 500d oven or just take it off the smoker, cover and crank the smoker up. Let it go until the IT gets to 5 degrees below where you want it. I like to pull mine when it hits 125 IT, then it ends up a nice med-rare. The reverse sear makes the nice crust on the outside, but doesn't overcook the outer layer like searing it at the beginning does.

You can google "herb garlic crusted prime rib" and get a chitload of recipes for the herb paste.

Good luck! Here's a photo of one I did a couple of years ago.
I'm doing one just like this on Christmas Eve for the wife's family dinner.

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

I have a 16 pounder in the fridge wet aging since the first week of november..cant have a fridge that is opened alot, the fresh air aND light is what brings on the bad ..I did a 6 pounder yesterday that was put in at the same time and it is just unbelievable the one for christmas is starting to puff up...remember to scrape off the outside...but a 30 day is the best..

I'd dry-age it as well. I think you are fairly safe with a 7-10 day dry age even if conditions aren't ideal IE: temp/humidity.

That said, please do cut away the dessicated stuff that will accumulate on the outside of the meat. Be prepared for some loss! It always makes me cringe the more I have to cut away, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I was aging a piece of rib-roast myself in my beer fridge. I also have some himalayan salt bricks I keep in it to help control any bacteria. There is a fan at the top as well, but I felt the meat started to get a funky odor too soo so I took it out, cut away a good bit of the outter meat and put the rest in the freezer.

I think it may have been wet-aged longer than I thought since I got it from a butcher who doesn't seem to deal a lot in "premium" cuts of meat. I imagine at 11.99 a pound it may have sat around a while.

Given the responses (thank you all again), I'm leaning toward aging it in the fridge. It will be in my beer fridge, the only other thing in there will be beer and can's of soda. Between the two roasts it's about 13lbs of meat. This will be the 2nd meat for Christmas dinner, we are also having ham, and I might do a turkey as well, well see.

There should be 18 adults there. I may be pushing it on quantity, although I'm planning on slicing it thinner then usual, or thicker and cutting each piece in half because there's just so much other food it's crazy. It does concern me to have to cut away some meat after the aging when I already feel like I'm pushing on the quantity. I wouldn't be totally against buying more meat if I have to either.

The other obstacle I have is that I'm going to cook this at home and take it 15 minutes away to my parents house for dinner. I was thinking of cooking it to 125*, resting it for a little bit, then wrapping and coolering it for the ride. That way once I get there I can fire it into a hot oven to heat it back up before we eat and slice it at that time.

So what do you guys do for an au jus? I imagine putting a pan under the roast in the smoker doesn't give enough juice. I was thinking about putting a couple can's of store bought au jus in a pan and then putting that under to catch the drippings.

I feel like I'm skitzin about this cook for some reason, I'm not nervous about actually cooking it, it's just all the prep and transporting really.

As long as you're 30 to 45 min away it'll do fine at room temp. Don't even need to heat it up much, just crisp up the outside at 550 for 8 minutes when you're ready to eat.

One word of advice about the rub if using. Hate to disagree and I love me a garlic steak like the next moke, but garlic on prime rib makes it taste chickeny. Don't know why, it just does. I think it has to do with the low slow roast.

You're on the right track IMHO.

I'd also plan on capturing the juices while it rests. Add those to the aforementioned beef broth, a little worsty sauce, maybe a dash of red-wine, garlic powder, S&P, bring to a simmer, and you have yourself one mighty fine tasting aus jus for "prime rib".

Back