Stoker or Guru?

Guru DigiQ DX's - got three of them - 2 for 2 cookers and 1 in reserve. Good news is that I've never had to go to the reserve. They're damn bulletproof.

I've never heard anything but rave reviews for Guru and I'm sure they have a fabulous product, but I had to go with the Stoker. The networking features were huge to me (I'm a computer networking tech) along with the Stoker Log software and the expandability (multiple fans and probes) of the one unit made the decision for me. The customer service, for the few times that I've needed it, has been very responsive and went WAY over and beyond! Kenny Rocks :thumb: (pun intended)

Neither...I just did two practice cooks with my new Spicewine. This thing does not need anything. I am now getting consistancy I was lack from my stick smoker. What an awesome cooker!

Stoker for me as well. I lay in my camper and sleep and if I wake up, I hit refresh on browser on my phone an 2 seconds later I know what the temps are on the cookers.

My Guru CyberQ II controls two pits flawlessly for me. It has the computer interface and internet capabilities as well.

I've never used a Stoker, so I can't say which is better, but I can definitely recommend the Guru.

Stoker

Any body run either in a stick burner like a lang? Just wondering how much time you get before loading more wood. Another question, when it closes off the fan do you get a bunch of smoldering instead of burning wood?

Thanks

Any body run either in a stick burner like a lang? Just wondering how much time you get before loading more wood. Another question, when it closes off the fan do you get a bunch of smoldering instead of burning wood?

Thanks

Dr. Bob Sammons of the OOPS - Outstanding Order of the Pig Society runs a pair of Gurus on his Jambo. We cooked next to each other at the Sam's Club Las Vegas Regional last weekend. Nice set up!

As a Stoker "Luminary"... :becky:

I use a Stoker controlling two Superior Smokers at comps. At home it controls the Superiors, WSMs, a Primo XL Oval, a Primo Oval JR, and even Weber kettles. Great unit for any cooker.

I've cooked on a team that uses the Guru (HawgsNHeifers) and the Stoker (Ad Astra).

I'd say that they are overall equal and that no one here has lead you astray. Each comment is spot on. Each controller has their good points and their, uh, less than good points.

What kind of 'tech' person are you? If you're an IT geek who grooves on a web server embedded on a SIMM, get a Stoker. If you're a Ron Popeil (Set It and Forget It!) kind of person, then go with the Guru.

Bottom line is, just like any cooker, be sure you've got an airtight system. No Stoker OR Guru can help you if your cooker is drafty (which translates to 'out of control')
. . . I know from experience! LOL!

We use 3 Gurus to control 4 WSM's. The DigiQ2 controls a Pork 18.5" WSM and a 22.5" Brisket WSM. Two separate Gurus for the Ribs 18.5" WSM and Chicken 18.5" WSM.

We have two Guru DigiQ and just love them you do need some extra probes just for the safety factor.

Back