• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kosher Salt Rub

tortaboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Was watching an episode of DDD yesterday and Guy went to a restaurant that made supposedly great pulled pork. Their "Secret" rub....ONLY Kosher salt, nothing else.

Claims it allows the flavor of the meat to really come out.

I'm smoking 3 shoulders today on my egg and going to test it out. :shocked:

I like that a lot.
Keeping it simple like that really brings out the meat and smoke flavour. That way you can really tell the difference of the smoke woods.

DM

If it comes out good, I'll be selling my rub tonight at www.buymysalt.com :becky:

Gotta run. Going to hit the farmers market and some other errands while I don't slave over my bbq today. :thumb:

I can see the potential. I have often questioned the value of "flavored" rub on pork butts. Sure, you can get some good bark but unless you are pulling select pieces for presentation like in a comp, it seems that the majority of the product really doesn't benefit from the rub. Aside from injecting, it would make more sense to add the rub after the pork is pulled.

Anyway, are you doing all three the same way or are you doing a comparison cook?

Anyway, are you doing all three the same way or are you doing a comparison cook?

Good question. I thought about that, and decided to just cook all - salt only.

I've done enough butts to know my baseline, so doing some of one and some of the other would not really benefit this.

The ONLY benefit that I could think of is that if it sucks....I've got about 15 pounds of chitty pork.

That's okay, there are always the guys at work that would eat it. :grin:

Was watching an episode of DDD yesterday and Guy went to a restaurant that made supposedly great pulled pork. Their "Secret" rub....ONLY Kosher salt, nothing else.

Claims it allows the flavor of the meat to really come out.

I'm smoking 3 shoulders today on my egg and going to test it out. :shocked:

Sometimes I'll do ribs with salt and pepper..... It's a good flavor. As far as the show you saw, I'm curious if they showed this restaurant serving their pulled pork? Was it smothered in sauce?

I'm curious because I'm not a sauce guy, so I always order Q with the sauce on the side and I'm sometimes shocked at both the quality and flavor of brisket and PP they serve. I think a lot of places depend heavily on a sauce for moisture and flavor.

I can see the potential. I have often questioned the value of "flavored" rub on pork butts. Sure, you can get some good bark but unless you are pulling select pieces for presentation like in a comp, it seems that the majority of the product really doesn't benefit from the rub. Aside from injecting, it would make more sense to add the rub after the pork is pulled.

You bet it makes sense.... or to add some additional rub for a flavor bump. For years I fine ground some my homemade #1 pork rub, calling the powder "Gold Dust" and used it as a finishing rub on PP. A couple of years ago I was introduced to "Gunpowder" from The Slabs, it's also a finishing rub and ground really fine.

Sometimes I'll do ribs with salt and pepper..... It's a good flavor. As far as the show you saw, I'm curious if they showed this restaurant serving their pulled pork? Was it smothered in sauce?

I'm curious because I'm not a sauce guy, so I always order Q with the sauce on the side and I'm sometimes shocked at both the quality and flavor of brisket and PP they serve. I think a lot of places depend heavily on a sauce for moisture and flavor.

They showed Guy eating it, and if I remember correctly, there was no sauce. Most of the places he features look pretty darned good.

The point of showing the ingredients as salt only was to explain that you did not need all that other "Stuff" to make great tasting meat. If he would have slathered it, I think I would have caught that. But....considering I cannot remember the name of the restaurant....who knows. :mmph:

Kosher is the only salt I use for all things smoke and BBQ. Might add rub but KS really makes a difference.

Whe I do steak the only seasoning it gets is a good dose of kosher salt. Makes the steak taste steakier.

Yeah - I said it... "steakier".

I saw a similar DDD (yesterday maybe?) where the guy was just using salt on the butt. Could have sworn he had some kind of super spicy jerk sauce he mixed in on the flatop with the pork if we saw the same thing. Either way I'm wanting to try the salt only but will wait on your follow up.

A lot depends on how you serve the end product. I do like finishing dust for pork if all I do it pull it. But, I have found that if I do a full flavored rub, and go for a really tasty bark one of the best ways to serve it is to break down the large muscles, remove the bark peices and give them a chop. Then mix the chop back into the pulled parts, making the bark into the seasoning of the pork. You have to do this while the pork is still steaming. It gives me the best product for my palate and no sauce is added at that time.

And I agree with Thirdeye, a lot of these guys use the sauce for flavor and moisture and just use the meat as a sauce delivery vehicle and most folks like it that way.

Back