What is the best way to move a bge ?

M

mawallis

On my firsy cookoff I almost broke my large big green egg trying to move it with the stand that the dealers sell. I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas or options on how to safely move a creamic cooker. The less expensive the better. Pics would be nice too. Thanks in advance

on my firsy cookoff i almost broke my large big green egg trying to move it with the stand that the dealers sell. I was wondering if anyone has some good ideas or options on how to safely move a creamic cooker. The less expensive the better. Pics would be nice too. Thanks in advance

truss.jpg

I've got a potlifter, works great
http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/POTLIFTER_WEBBED_CARRYING_STRAP_SYSTEM_FOR_BIG_GRE_p/potlifter.htm

When taking the egg anywhere, we take all the guts out, if it's going in our trailer, it stays on the stand, one strap goes from the stand to the top of the egg making sure it doesn't bounce open, than we secure it to the trailer wall(this is the way our BGE dealer transports his demo eggs everywhere). Use 2 people, and be careful. Common sense is key

It is important to note that Yabba Dabba Que also has support built into those tables and he uses a winch to get them into his vehicle.

But he does compete with 3 or 4 and moves them successfully.

Here are a few options I have seen:

328509_2019965738128_958215628_o.jpg

4760_100194241775_5213775_n.jpg

I've got a brand new Large with the Egg nest Handler, the BGE is secured to the handle with 2 braces bolted to the lower band. The nest has a wider footprint than my older nests and it seems pretty stable to me?

We move 3 each contest…that’s 12 transfers to/from the truck every event. We looked at Tommy lifts, winches, carts, truck mounted cranes…you name it. The Pot Lifter (see post # 3, above) solved all our BGE lifting problems. We don't cook any better tho...go figure.

Great solution for under $30 at Amazon.

Good luck!

WEll You know we sell a lot of these babies and we ALWAYS use the Potlifter and recommend them to our customers to carry them around. Also, if we take a ceramic to a comp , we use them to get the cooker around , in and out of the nest or table.

So how to move a Big Green Egg ... one word .... CAREFULLY!

I cooked for a few years rolling a couple of large Eggs in the older nests into an enclosed trailer and justed used ratchet straps to strap to the walls. I still take 1 in the toy hauler and have only had 1 issue that broke the thermo off the egg after it fell in the trailer after a ratchet strap broke in transit. Scratched up the side of my Spicewine, but no crack to the egg. (I now use industrial straps)

We have our BGE in the compact tables. We take the innards out of the eggs and pack with foam for cushion and put them back into the eggs. Then we strap the Eggs down in an enclosed trailer with tie down straps and put one across the top so the Eggs don't bounce up and down in the table and the lids don't bounce open. We have had good luck with this method.

Eggspert BBQ

I will chime in...I tried moving mine by myself and dropped it, severed the flexor tendon on my right thumb, had surgery, missed 6 weeks of work and have done 8 weeks of PT...But the BGE survuved!

I have used the potlifter, but it is still really tough on your back getting it where you want it. It is NOT a one man job, ask my lower back!

Back