Score a no garnish box.

I think a 7. I like the concept but as others have mentioned there are too many issues with the meat for me to justify higher scores. My eye went immediately to the flat slices on the top which have a distracting gash in the ends and the burnt end on the lower right that looks like fat or maybe the bark is missing.

With that many cubes, it looks like you're hiding the slices. The suspicious part of me thinks the ends might have crumbled while you were slicing them, but if that were the case, I'd mark down later, in the texture score.

But strictly on appearance, I'd prefer to see the whole width of the slices, even if it's just the first couple of slices toward the front of the box.

I'd say 8, probably. The sauce glaze doesn't bother me too much for the appearance score.

borderline 8..im think it looked better without being so close up..nice layout of slices and chunks..

I'd probably say a 7... the slices don't show very well to me. My first impression is that your flat didn't turn out, so you're going with burnt ends to hide that. I'm not saying it's true, just my first response. There's nothing wrong with that, either, but I'd want the slices looking better overall. With knowing something of how judges respond, I'd emphasize the slices, not the burnt ends.

I'll give the first pic a 7
and the second pic an 8:confused::rolleyes::-D:wink:

Nice job and a good example of no garnish needed.

Yeah at best a 7. The box is a mess. Everything needs to be straightened up and fixed and I think that I can still see the green of lettuce under some of the pieces. You can certainly spent more time on that box.

8 for sure. I'm salivating as we speak. Burnt ends need a little tideing up and it would be a 9. I might have to try something like that with my brisket at the next comp. I kinda like the no garnish look.

I gave it an 8 on first glance.
Even after a second look it's still an 8.
But hey, I'm no CBJ.

Without looking at other posts....8

I could almost taste those burnt ends.

8. Slices look small and uneven, maybe just because the burnt ends are laying on top? Burnt ends themselves aren't evenly barked on all sides - looks like cubed point rather than true BE.

Overall it looks tasty, but could be a little better.

They are not sitting on the slices. I had to cut the slices short because of a long slice running across the top of the brisket, if I cut them any shorter I mite as well just handed in nothing but chunks and almost did but wanted something for the judges to give the pull test on.

As for the point I did it differently them most I put the point back in whole to cook instead of cubed. If you look you can see the burnt ends bark is much darker than the slices. But your observation is a good one.
Dave

With that many cubes, it looks like you're hiding the slices. The suspicious part of me thinks the ends might have crumbled while you were slicing them, but if that were the case, I'd mark down later, in the texture score.

But strictly on appearance, I'd prefer to see the whole width of the slices, even if it's just the first couple of slices toward the front of the box.

I'd say 8, probably. The sauce glaze doesn't bother me too much for the appearance score.

A suspicious mind does not belong at a judges table:-?. Not hiding slices they were very moist and not crumbled at all but as I have explained there was a long cut running across the top and if you look closer you can see its still in all the slices, just wanted to give the judges something to do the pull test with. But you score is spot on.
Dave

I'd probably say a 7... the slices don't show very well to me. My first impression is that your flat didn't turn out, so you're going with burnt ends to hide that. I'm not saying it's true, just my first response. There's nothing wrong with that, either, but I'd want the slices looking better overall. With knowing something of how judges respond, I'd emphasize the slices, not the burnt ends.

Just was not in the cards to showcase the slices with this brisket.
Dave

Yep, between Climax Springs and Warsaw.

Well heck we will have to get together sometime and have a conversation or two., I live about 3 miles north of Greenview. Were you the one that kept kissing Carolyn?:-D
Dave

Well you all were very spot on with you scores some observations were a little off but overall your scoring was very good. I thing there were 42 CBJs and 49 Non CBJs and I placed 26th out of 76 with this box. My scores for appearance were, 8 8 8 8 7 8,. I was surprised as well as pleased since I did not plan a no garnish box and had to deal with a poorly trimmed brisket from the packer. I would not hesitate to try it again with less sauce and better slices. Thanks to one and all for your impute.
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dave, hope you're feeling well! I'd give that box an 8 and if you had garnish, a 9! LOL! I'd kidding! But I agree with most of the comments on what you could do to improve it. I would not, however, be concerned with painting the slices. We did lightly... VERY lightly at Warrensburg and took 6th in brisket. Nice looking box. The only thing I might have done differently is turn some burnt ends on their sides rather than having big solid rows of black bark. I like the look of varied chunks in my brisket box.

As for the suspicions of what might be hidden, you guys know better than that! You can't assume something is wrong with an entry based on anything the cook has done! We keep coming back to this but an entry has to be judged on it's own merits AS PRESENTED.

Last edited:
Hey Dave, hope you're feeling well! I'd give that box an 8 and if you had garnish, a 9! LOL! I'd kidding! But I agree with most of the comments on what you could do to improve it. I would not, however, be concerned with painting the slices. We did lightly... VERY lightly at Warrensburg and took 6th in brisket. Nice looking box. The only thing I might have done differently is turn some burnt ends on their sides rather than having big solid rows of black bark. I like the look of varied chunks in my brisket box.

As for the suspicions of what might be hidden, you guys know better than that! You can't assume something is wrong with an entry based on anything the cook has done! We keep coming back to this but an entry has to be judged on it's own merits AS PRESENTED.

Thanks Jeff I am feeling fine and I hope you are two. I want to thank you for your comments about suspicions, that can never be overstated as far as I am concerned. Have you gone to Qtalk and looked at my new mods on My large Spiceswine/Myswine.?
Dave

As for the suspicions of what might be hidden, you guys know better than that! You can't assume something is wrong with an entry based on anything the cook has done! We keep coming back to this but an entry has to be judged on it's own merits AS PRESENTED.[/quote]

AMEN!

Very tastey loooking !!!

Howdy, Iam not much on numbers, but I would chomp down on a few slices of this brisket. Looks Great !!!

I like this box. I think that boxes that look full look better that boxes that are sparse. You did a good job. The sauce on the slices looks a little uneven, but other than that - nice!

Lets call it an 8.

I hate the garnish rule but have not been presented with a box that looked great or even good with out it. That being said 9 Moist, full box, well laid out, and makes me want to reach in a grab a burnt end. This is what brisket should look like eatable - salad!

Back