BBBacon....Slicing & Cooking????

JimT

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
With all this recent talk about buckboard bacon, I had to take the plunge. My first ever will be ready to smoke this weekend. Drooling in anticipation, a few questions popped into my mind:

1. Slicing. How thick should I cut the slices (I'll be using a knife)? Do I need to worry (or think about) any grain, like slicing across it? Seems to me the grain in a pork butt runs in all different directions!

2. Frying. Low, medium or high heat? Start with a cold pan, or hot? Will it fry in it's own fat like regular bacon, of should I add some fat like bacon drippins at the start? How do you tell when it's done?

So many questions, so little space! Do your best, and thanks,

JimT

I'll be smoking my first BBB as well and plan to slice it in several thicknesses. Some will be about 1/16 for ABT wrappin', about 1/8 for pan fryin' and BLT's, about 1/4 for Eggs Benedict, and a few thick slabs for greens and beans. :p:-D:biggrin:

Like JD says, slice it to whatever thickness suits you! Whether you like your bacon thick or thin, slice it that way- don't worry about the grain, not an issue.
As far as cooking, both loins and butts turn out leaner than "traditional" bacon- go a little lower temp than bacon (to prevent burning) , and some olive oil or butter wouldn't hurt cooking ease or taste!

With all this recent talk about buckboard bacon, I had to take the plunge. My first ever will be ready to smoke this weekend. Drooling in anticipation, a few questions popped into my mind:

1. Slicing. How thick should I cut the slices (I'll be using a knife)? Do I need to worry (or think about) any grain, like slicing across it? Seems to me the grain in a pork butt runs in all different directions!

2. Frying. Low, medium or high heat? Start with a cold pan, or hot? Will it fry in it's own fat like regular bacon, of should I add some fat like bacon drippins at the start? How do you tell when it's done?

So many questions, so little space! Do your best, and thanks,

JimT

What time should I be over to test it for you????:lol:

Thanks Guys!

A couple more questions: How long will this stuff keep in the 'fridge? If I decide to freeze some, I'm thinking slice it first. Does this make sense?

Divemaster - About 4:00 PM Sunday! :wink:

JimT

Buckboard ready for the frig to cool down. Only needed about 1 12 hrs to get to 140 on the UDS this morning. Gotta love the sweet blue. Can't wait to slice this evening.:-D

Attachments

• BBB Ready to Smoke.JPG
    BBB Ready to Smoke.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 113
  • BBB Sweet Blue.JPG
    BBB Sweet Blue.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 112
  • BBB to 140.JPG
    BBB to 140.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 112
I liked mine sliced very thin. More tender that way.

Before smoking, try adding some rub or course black pepper for some specialty bacon. Maybe a maple glaze.

Definately a maple glaze on the next one. This was my second cure so I wanted to be a little more confortable before doing anything different. TIME TO EXPERIMENT NOW !!!!!!

Another Rookie Question

Just took the butt out of the "cure" bag. Plan on soaking it for about 4 hours, then into the fridge overnight, ala Thirdeyes's technique.

The outer 1/2 inch or so was kind of a "muddy/grey" color. The inner meat was more of a brilliant pinkish/red. Is this normal?????

Any pictures I have seen of this stage don't seem to have that "muddy/grey" color. For example, look at Meat Burner's picture a few posts up. It looks pink, not grey. My whole outside is more the color of the fat in the lower right portion of his first pic.

Paranoia strikes deep!! :confused:

JimT

Michigan Brother JimT, I wish I knew more about this curing than I do. This is the second time for me and both were with a pork loin. The color thing is something the more experienced brethren hopefully chime in on. One thing I was very careful about was keeping the temps in the frig between 36 and 39 degrees. The meat always looked fresh and smelled fresh throughout the curing process. Setting for a week to two weeks, depending on the cut you are curing, I would think temps would be very important. I am a rookie at this, so don't rely on my knowledge. Keep asking questions because there are folk here that know who to help. ITS A GREAT PLACE FOR HELP!

I Got Pink!

Now, now, now, it's Sunday. :biggrin:

After washing and rinsing, I put the butt in the fridge overnight. When I got it out this morning, the color looked quite normal:

Pink.jpg

So I lit the fire in my "mini" ring with two small chunks of apple, and one hickory.

Fire-1.jpg

The meat went on in a cloud of smoke,

MeatOn.jpg

And the temp dialed in nicely.

Temp-1.jpg

It'll go back in the fridge overnight before I slice, cook and sample, but I promise to report back in a day or two with the results and more Pron!

My thanks to all who helped with this first time venture!

JimT

Kept bacon in frig overnight and sliced today. Put on wax paper to freeze and then zip lock bags. Of course had to try some with some eggs. :-D YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• BBB on Wax paper.JPG
    BBB on Wax paper.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 54
  • BBB and Eggs.JPG
    BBB and Eggs.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 56
  • BBB Sliced for freeze.jpg
    BBB Sliced for freeze.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 54
You guys are KILLING me!!!
That's it, i gotta do some bacon man!
All u guys make it look easy, thank you for all the posts and pics.
I guarantee, i will have bacon by X-mas!:biggrin:

Man, I know what I'm ordering soon so I can make full use of my last rain check for $0.99/lb butts!

As Promised....

Here's the finished product. Looks and smells delicious, tastes like ham.

Done.jpg

Sliced.jpg

Let the feasting begin!!!

JimT

Back