Sausage Entry

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Did someone say sausage?

We've entered the sausage catagory for the first time in Waucoma and I'm really not sure what is considered the norm.

Do I get a pack of brats, polish sausage, smoke a fattie or what?
Garnish ... same as the other turn ins or do I get to dress it up?
Do judges wants spicy or something unusual?

Anyone wanna post a pic of their sausage? Wait, Post a pic of your sausage in the bo...., hold on, that's just wrong. I'm going to word this very carefully :rolleyes: ... If you've turned in a KCBS sausage catagory and have a pic of the turn in, will you please post it along with how it finished.

thanks

Double check the turn in requirements for Waucoma. Some comps use the normal box but anything goes for garnish. Also, are you allowed any other food in the box with the sausage (sauce, etc.)

Great idear there Ron! (doh mod)

Called Lynch, standard KCBS rules apply to the sausage turn in - basic approved garnishes, at least 6 identifiable portions and nothing else

I like hearing that, great for the keep it simple stupid cook like myself.

Now the question is a hotty fattie or a sweet fattie

We've had some success recently with the mini-fatty.

~sausage.jpg

Oh she had me at sausage.

Everyone who was at the ISU meat lab spring training should know what, err who we're referring to.

Second Place

100_2730.jpg

I should have squeezed a couple more in!

Is that a fattie rolled around a fresh jalapeno stuffed with sour cream?

Close... The filling in the jap is like abt filling. I use a mix of cream cheese and shredded colby (to get the yellow yolk color) and mix in some left over meat (fatty, pulled pork, brisket, etc.) and some rub.

May be a stupid question but how do you put the jalepeno or whatever you are using in a fatty. The only fatty I have done was just Jimmy Dean's sausage. Would like to expand on this

roll it out....."stuffing" on top....roll it back up

cheese, pepperoni, Italian long hot peppers over mix of JD italian and 1 lb of Italian hot sausage:
001.jpg

Smoked:

005.jpg

Sliced:
010.jpg

Another question about sausage entry? If you can do a fatty, the meat does not have to be in a natural casing. correct? If not, what makes it sausage?

Another question about sausage entrry? If you can do a fatty, the meat does not have to be in a natural casing. correct? If not, what makes it sausage?

I think the term sausage includes any dishes made of seasoned minced meat including meatloaf and even hamburgers. It's not limited to pork and there is no casing requirement.

Back