Rubs

jpw23

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I use a lot of brown sugar in my rubs.....is there any way to dry this stuff out a bit......I have set it in the oven for hours at 150 and it helped some but, not as much as I would like.....any suggestions?

I'll have to check time & temp when I get home for the oven. Leave it out over night??

Did you spread it out on a cookie sheet first? If not, try that. It usually works for me just leaving it out for a few hours. A 150 degree oven should do it in an hour or less, I would think.

You'll still need to break it up after it has dried.

JimT

JimT said:
Did you spread it out on a cookie sheet first? If not, try that. It usually works for me just leaving it out for a few hours. A 150 degree oven should do it in an hour or less, I would think.

You'll still need to break it up after it has dried.

JimT

yeah....I did that and broke it up...it still seems a bit to moist to suit me, maybe its always gonna be that way. I might try running it through the food processor to get it a little more fine, that might help.

What about using Turbinado sugar instead. It's pretty much like the regular brown sugar only drier. I don't see alot of difference in taste between the two.

I've not seen turinado around here....might need to do a little research.

jpw23 said:
I've not seen turinado around here....might need to do a little research.
I'm sure you've heard this but you can find turbinado in the supermarket as "Sugar in the Raw". I've used it but it has large granules that don't like to stay mixed with my rubs. When I'm shaking the rub onto the meat, the turbinado seems to seperate out.
Drying the brown sugar in the oven works but you have to spread it out, put it in the oven, crumble and repeat a few times to get it right. In order to crumble it up, I put it in a big ziplock bag and go over it with a rolling pin to crush the chunks. It comes out nice and dry, it won't clump and it's a bit finer due to all the rolling.

Edit: apparently you have heard this before..., from Vinny. How did you do that Vinny? It didn't take me 19 minutes to type out this post.

Hain makes a Tubinado and it usually carried in the "Natural or Health Foods" section of the grocery stores, it is more expensive than the "Sugar in the Raw" but the same as far as I can tell.

when I oven dry I constantly fiddle with it, spreading it around, breaking it up, stirring it. I've had good results. Put it in with a batch of rub and a week later no clumps.

Kirk said:
I'm sure you've heard this but you can find turbinado in the supermarket as "Sugar in the Raw". I've used it but it has large granules that don't like to stay mixed with my rubs. When I'm shaking the rub onto the meat, the turbinado seems to seperate out.
Drying the brown sugar in the oven works but you have to spread it out, put it in the oven, crumble and repeat a few times to get it right. In order to crumble it up, I put it in a big ziplock bag and go over it with a rolling pin to crush the chunks. It comes out nice and dry, it won't clump and it's a bit finer due to all the rolling.

Edit: apparently you have heard this before..., from Vinny. How did you do that Vinny? It didn't take me 19 minutes to type out this post.

I have had the same problem with turbinado. I tried grinding it with no luck. I am going to give the "brownulated" a shot though.

I hit meat with turbinado then rub, been doing it for a couple of years, works well.

I've used a coffee grinder to pulverize turbinado into almost dust.. give that a whirl.

yeah.. theres a pun in there. :)

I use turbinado sugar in my rubs as well... I just give it a pass through my burr coffee grinder... doesn't stick and doesn't clump...

James.

I will have to try running the turbinado through the coffee grinder. I've thought about it but hadn't had the chance to try it yet.

I have used the coffee grinder to pulverize the turbinado into dust/fine powder. I've done the same with kosher salt. It works great in rubs. It makes them more uniform. They go on and stay on very well. I measure it in the granular form e.g. 1/4 cup, grind it and mix it.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

When I make my rub, I mostly use turbinado with a little brown sugar mixed in. I run the whole thing through a food processor so the turbinado gets ground up a bit.

Seems the common theme here is to grind the daylights out of the sugar....gonna look into that....thanks guys!

Back