Built a new toy....Introducing "The Contraption"

Fastball

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, it is finished enough to cook on and show. Still need a few odd and ends before it's complete....and paint.

It is a "modified" stumps clone. Inside dimensions of the cook chamber are 48"H X 30"W X 24"D. Charcoal chute is 8" tubing. Below are pics of "The Contraption" and the 2nd cook.

The 2nd cook was for around 14+ hours and I used just a little over 20lbs of Ozark Oak charcoal and about 10 small chunks of pecan. Besides what is pictured below....I also did 3 racks of "cheap" pork ribs, and a 2lb "Feta Fatty". Everything turned out fantastic.

If you want details (pictures) of the build...click here

No stacks yet, so just put stovepipe over the collars.

contraption.jpg

ABT's and Mountain View Hotlinks

2ndcook.jpg

Pork Picnic Shoulder

2ndcook2.jpg

Part of one of the shoulders, after my wife took a cleaver to it

2ndcook3.jpg

Pretty cool design. What is encased in the steel walls? Looks like fire Brick?

Oh hey food looks great too.

Nice, I like the all terrain wheels - unstoppable... I wish I coul weld as well.. CONGRATS on the somker man!!!

Do you happen to have dimensions/ blueprints for the build. I have been wanting to build one myself and that looks like the perfect size for me.

Wow!... Lots of great ideas and workmanship.... You got a lot of time on your hands....
Let me guess...Would Contraception be another good name for it?

Do you happen to have dimensions/ blueprints for the build. I have been wanting to build one myself and that looks like the perfect size for me.

Sorry Chibi....I didn't work off of any drawings. Just started building. I knew what I wanted in my head, so bought some metal and started building. I had a lot of help with specifics from another forum, don't know if it is against the rules to mention another forum, so just in case, PM me and I'll give you the address, or just search for stumps clones and you'll probably run across them. Those guys really know their chit when it comes to building smokers.

I took what others had done before me with these clones and made a few changes. I wanted to be able to make it into a stickburner if I so chose, so that's next on the list, to build a stickburner firebox. This is meant to be sort of a "Mr. Potatohead" type of cooker. Just fasten on what ever type of firebox you want, and start cooking.

So the first firebox is the stumps style gravity-feed chute/ashbox. And I will say that it is a complete success as far as I'm concerned. Next is the stickburner.

Nice job on the build. I am a welder but I don't have a place to build. I'm thinking about buying a Spicewine to hold me off.

Jeff

Thanks for all the comments. I'm not really a welder....I'm more of a dobber. Not the prettiest welds but they hold and they don't leak. I'm a little slow as well. I actually started this build back at the end of March. I thought I would have it done by the end of April......hahaha, fat chance, as I said, I'm a little slow. Too much going on I guess.

nice looking smoker I like the way you attached the fire box to the chamber. Is there steering on the chamber? I'm looking for ! for my UTS cart please post pics if so.

Back