• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket time

scott3705

Got Wood.
Reaction score
After finishing my best brisket to date yesterday in 10 hours, I'm wondering how many people really see their cooks go to 1.5 hours per pound which is usually the time I afford myself when timing out dinner. I've never had a flat or packer take more than an hour per pound but I used to always foil. My cook from yesterday on my lang: whole packer 16.5 lbs pretrimmed, injected with butchers, wrapped in butcher paper after five hours. Cooked between 220 and 235 the whole time. Water pan in the pit (Had one spike to 255 about 8 hours in for 20 mins.). Pulled based on probe test at 194.

(I'll preemptively say that the temp at the grate is accurate...three thermometers in the pit)

Food is coming out good... Just working on timing.

I am doing a 12 lb prime packer now in a Large BGE I put it on at 225 @ 12 A At 6:30 it was 135 I kicked the Temp up to 250 and in an hour it was 154 Better to give yourself extra time- You can always keep it warm in a cooler

Its done when its done. Most of my briskets come out in around or less than 1 hr per pre trimmed lb. Occasionally one will hit a stall and go past 1 hr per lb. Several times I have had a brisket get up to around 205 degrees and not probe tender, check it every 30 minutes and a hour or hour and a half later it is probe tender, but still around 205 degrees. Each cut is different, the tougher the cut the longer the cook.

I cook way hotter 300+ if I wrap in BP I'm off the pit in 6 hrs or less If I don't It adds 2-3 hrs depending on the amount of beer being consumed and the Age of the Cow.

I have been cooking for 40 years and could not tell how much time per pound it will take..If I want to wrap then I guestimate the time, or if a temp probe is monitoring the meat then a target temp to wrap or to complete or to start probe for tenderness..just too many varibles too add to driving me nuts..you get a spike hi or low and there goes the time line..

I have had some monster stalls when cooking without wrapping that pushed me to 1.5 hours per even when not all the way down at 225. Normally it happens with smaller ones. The time per pound is not linear as the size of the brisket increases IMO.

Back