Traeger or Louisiana Grill

ajajbrent

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a preference in Traeger or Louisiana Grill pellet smokers? Thinking of buying one as a gift. Looking for small and very easy cooker to use.

I am currently using a backwoods party and love it. My uncle has 2 broken shoulders and lives alone. Likes to cook. Obviously he needs something that is easy to use. Not tending a fire every hour. I have never cooked with a pellet cooker. Need a little feedback? Is it really set it and forget it?

The traeges especially I see at costco are way to thin sheet metal for me to justify. Haven't seen the Louisiana grill one though. But I'd stay away from the traegers as I've heard the production in china has severely depleted its quality.

IMHO and I do not own one of your targeted models. So FWIW.

As both the models you mention will involve plugging them in and electronics I would visit every website possible and read owners reviews. Then based on the Warranty, customer service and overall reviews I would make a decision. Some of the reviews will be harsh, as you can't please some folks, but a pattern should emerge if you read enough.

Although I have no personal experience I have read many time on this forum where a welding blanket from Harbor Freight, Large insulated hot water tank wraps etc have been used to help skinny steel and in brutal weather conditions.

Good luck. Please post up when you make your decision-and why--cost, reviews, dealer etc.

Last edited:
I saw a pellet cooker at lowes, char griller brand, 450 bucks. it might be something to consider. i have not seen any reviews of it yet.
jon

Iv had a Traeger for three years now have had a couple small issues with it but nothing big. Their costumer services is top notch you cant find better for that reason alone i would buy another one if need be.

As a Louisiana TG-300 owner (that's the smallest one) I have been very happy with it. I will say that it is thicker metal and made in Canada if that matters to you. One upgrade that is a must (in my eyes anyway) is the digital temp controller. The dial type controller that came standard merely controls the auger speed, the digital controls fan and auger in order to get smoke. I only worry about the temp dropping when it is below 30 degrees and windy. Otherwise it is not a problem for it to keep up.

Back