1st Cook on the Assassin w/ video

I bought a 8 x 24, 16 GA flat stock form Lowes a cut a piece just big enough to cover the charcoal chute. I don't put it on until after warm up and it is time to close the chute door.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=82602&stc=1&d=1374627403

This smoker is 4 years old, some moisture will get by the metal.

OK, this is cool. Thanks for posting this - I got it now. I'm going to do the same. Great idea and again, appreciate you sharing!

Yeah... I've looked at the winch option in the past. I don't have a place to permanently mount a winch but I though about using aircraft cable between two D-rings in the floor and attach the winch to that.

He doesn't have D-rings?

Not sure if you have any fab skills but the winch can be mounted under the deck and the cable run on top with a pulley or even the rollers that are commonly used for atv/bumper mounted winches. I'm in Orland if your close I could lend a hand.

Not sure if you have any fab skills but the winch can be mounted under the deck and the cable run on top with a pulley or even the rollers that are commonly used for atv/bumper mounted winches. I'm in Orland if your close I could lend a hand.

I can't even cut a straight line with a table saw :-D

We cook out of a toy hauler and use the inside as our prep area and then sleeping area, so I really can't have anything that is permanently mounted above the floor otherwise we would be tripping over it.

I am definitely happy with mine. This past weekend I smoked two pork butts and I basically fired it up, set the Guru and didn't touch it until the meat hit 190 degrees, then I started checking until it probed the way I wanted it to. Came out great. I posted this thread about it: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173985

You do have to learn to use it but for me it only took about three cooks. I find that food seems to get done a little faster than it did in my BGE, even when using the same cooking temperature. Personally, I can't imagine you being unhappy with the Assassin.

Back