• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Costco now has "Mystery Rack" ribs

sdbbq1234

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So I went to Costco here in Leesburg, VA the other day to get some ribs. All they carry is baby back or St Louis style.

Well, the days of last year when they had 2 racks per pack is gone. They jumped on the "Mystery Rack" wagon.

3 racks per package. Bummer! Not having much choice around here, I grabbed a pack. And of course, the middle rack was very small and almost deformed looking. Sucks!

For comps, I sure I get lucky with the packages going forward; not holding my breath.

wallace

I was dissapointed in the switch to 3 racks also. The ribs are half decent taste wise, little fat on them, minimal trimming, however out of the 3-4 packs of three I have cooked, I am yet to find one with any straight bones in them!

Costco is known for its return policy. Have you tried returning the mystery rack on the basis that it is not as good as the visible racks?

the store i go to never has a consistent supply. one time they will have spares and baby backs, then next time baby backs and loins. its super frustrating and i'm about to just give up on them.

Costco is also very responsive to complaints. Let the manager know that you are very unhappy with the move to three racks. Let him know that it does affect your purchasing satisfaction and maybe even show him why.

I get crazy and buy the 4 packs from RD :loco:. Not too many issue with the 2 racks in the middle. I've been screwed just as much with 2 packs I thought looked good :becky:.

I have gotten the Costco ones for home use and they are decent.

I noticed the 3-packs as well. The ones I picked up where not in cryo and wrapped by the butcher. Wonder if there is any value in chatting up the butchers there to see if they can put together custom packages on request - at least they could help with size consistency.

Our Costcos only sold the 3-packs for as long as I can remember. It was only relatively recently they also stocked the 2-packs. These are shipped and packed differently and may have different suppliers. I've had no problem with either. Yes, you cannot select as well with the 3-packs, but I've not gotten the idea they're trying to deceive with what I've purchased.

I noticed the 3-packs as well. The ones I picked up where not in cryo and wrapped by the butcher. Wonder if there is any value in chatting up the butchers there to see if they can put together custom packages on request - at least they could help with size consistency.

I bet they would break up some packs for you, provided you took two of the racks. I know Sams will do pretty much any thing you ask.

My costco has been on the mystery rack bandwagon for over a year now.. it sucks !!

Since you've had success with them can I ask how many walks and GC's do you have with these 3 packs?

None, I've only competed once. I have cooked them several times. I haven't had shiners, the bones where straight, long, fairly flat, good meat.

So, I cooked all 3 racks yesterday. If I were cooking in a comp, I would have been in trouble as far as getting 6 straight ribs. Especially, from the same rack.

And the funny thing is, the rack that had the best and straightest ribs was the "Mystery Rack". But, those were small.

The package was from Framland, same as when they were 2 per pack.

Just not to sure what the hck is going on with meat these days.

I just picked up 2 packs of 2 ribs per package from RD for next weekend.

I'll be trimming those later today or tomorrow, so we will see.

wallace

None, I've only competed once. I have cooked them several times. I haven't had shiners, the bones where straight, long, fairly flat, good meat.

I apologize I thought you meant success in competitions..everytime Ive picked them up the middle rack is junk but they will work in a pinch.

I apologize I thought you meant success in competitions..everytime Ive picked them up the middle rack is junk but they will work in a pinch.

And say a person had two 6th's, a 10th, and maybe 3 non walks with the ribs what would your response had been?

Commercial supply of meat is based upon weight per rack, you can order cases that are graded based upon the size of the rack. If it matters that much, yes, a butcher can break up cases, based upon ordering a more expensive, graded, non-cryovac product. There are a few butchers out there that already do this for teams that compete.

And say a person had two 6th's, a 10th, and maybe 3 non walks with the ribs what would your response had been?

Exactly the same..people measure success differently..2 6th's a 10th and some non walks..3 top ten calls in a row would be a success with my current state of ribs and would have won us one contest already this year..how was your overall in those contests?..if you won or RGC'd any of those three I'd say it was a success..winning and walking consistently in any category is successful to me..did you use the 3 pack to get those calls?

Exactly the same..people measure success differently..2 6th's a 10th and some non walks..3 top ten calls in a row would be a success with my current state of ribs and would have won us one contest already this year..how was your overall in those contests?..if you won or RGC'd any of those three I'd say it was a success..winning and walking consistently in any category is successful to me..did you use the 3 pack to get those calls?

I just used those as an example. They were just made up. Your original question seemed to assume success was a was "walks" or a "GC". So I wanted to see how less than that stacked up in your mind.

Back