• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rub a dub dub

J

jgibb

Now, I understand we have competitors here...I appreciate the sanctity of the competition, but I am having a TON of people over in a month and am in need of some good rub recipes. I'm going to have Brisket, Ribs, Chicken Wings and either Beef or Pork to pull apart. I'm also planning smoked mac n cheese, vinegar based cole slaw, fresh bread and buns and some good baked beans. For good measure, I'm thinking pecan pie and bread pudding with ice cream. And Beer and Wine... Am I forgetting anything? Please help with the rub recipes...and any other thoughts...:ear:

Sounds like you are going to be cooking quite a bit of meat. Why not just use some commercial rubs? Just curious.

:) I want bragging rights...I'm finding some nice recipes in the recipe section. I have a very talented professional chef coming and she's phenomenal. I can't compete but I want to impress. She will forever in my mind be the queen. She served these amazing smoked mussel quesadillas that I will never forget for the rest of my life.

:) I want bragging rights...I'm finding some nice recipes in the recipe section. I have a very talented professional chef coming and she's phenomenal. I can't compete but I want to impress.

I spent years trying to blend, balance, and perfect rubs I used. Endless hours of cooking with them, only to find that the best rubs were already made by someone else. Don't let pride and narrow-mindedness get in the way of a fantastic cook.

I spent years trying to blend, balance, and perfect rubs I used. Endless hours of cooking with them, only to find that the best rubs were already made by someone else. Don't let pride and narrow-mindedness get in the way of a fantastic cook.

Well said !!!

Bad Byron's Butt Rub for butts only.

Plowboy's Yardbird for chicken.

Dizzy Dust for ribs.

McCormick Montreal Seasoning for steaks.

If nobody sees the prep who's gonna know what rub you use and to be honest they wont ask. Even if some one does all you need to say is "it is a propitiatory process and there is some salt involved."

My choice for commercial Rubs

McCormick season all & black peppa & chili powder> Pork butts & chicken
Slap yo Momma Caujin seasoning with a little sugar>Ribs & chicken
Montreal Steak seasoning & Woster peppa> beef

I've always liked KC's rub recipe #105 (I think it's 105....there's 2 versions of it) from the Brethren Cookbook. The only thing different I ever did to it (and only because I couldn't find hickory salt around here) is use hickory flavored "Bacon Salt" in it's place, which gave it a great, distinct flavor so I stuck with it.

I've made pounds and pounds of that stuff. VERY versatile.

Well said !!!
Bad Byron's Butt Rub for butts only.
Plowboy's Yardbird for chicken.
Dizzy Dust for ribs.
McCormick Montreal Seasoning for steaks.

Sounds like you've been peeking in my cupboard.
While I have a large variety, you mentioned my favorites.

Now, I understand we have competitors here...I appreciate the sanctity of the competition, but I am having a TON of people over in a month and am in need of some good rub recipes. I'm going to have Brisket, Ribs, Chicken Wings and either Beef or Pork to pull apart. I'm also planning smoked mac n cheese, vinegar based cole slaw, fresh bread and buns and some good baked beans. For good measure, I'm thinking pecan pie and bread pudding with ice cream. And Beer and Wine... Am I forgetting anything? Please help with the rub recipes...and any other thoughts...:ear:

Yes you forgot something .. you forgot to invite me

Zydeco Rub

2 tsp fennel seed ground fine
1 bay leaf ground fine
2 Tbls dried thyme ground fine
2 Tbls file powder
2 Tbls cayenne pepper
6 Tbls black pepper
4 Tbls white pepper
2 Tbls granulated onion
2 Tbls granulated garlic powder
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup smoked paprika

Use on pork, chicken or fish.

I make my own rub because it's cheaper. The renowned MR. Brown for Butts. Should be easy to find with a google search. It barks up so nice.

Sounds like a great time. The only thing I can come with that you forgot in your post was your address so all of us Brethren can attend.:becky:

I have tried to make my own, but for backyard cooking it is hard to beat commercial. I have made Ique rub, Myron Mixons rub, and Chris Lilly's. They were all good, but a lot of trouble and a lot of unusual ingreedients to find and buy. I would recommend:
Oak Ridge or Bad Byrons for pork
Plowboys Yardbird or Lynchburg/Jack Daniels for chicken
SM Cherry for ribs
Plowboys Bovine for brisket

In fact, I have had nothing bad from Plowboys, Simply Marvelous, or Oak Ridge.

I have tried to make my own, but for backyard cooking it is hard to beat commercial. I have made Ique rub, Myron Mixons rub, and Chris Lilly's. They were all good, but a lot of trouble and a lot of unusual ingreedients to find and buy. I would recommend:
Oak Ridge or Bad Byrons for pork
Plowboys Yardbird or Lynchburg/Jack Daniels for chicken
SM Cherry for ribs
Plowboys Bovine for brisket

In fact, I have had nothing bad from Plowboys, Simply Marvelous, or Oak Ridge.

I completely agree with this post, except I would add Dizzy Pig to the mix. I have tried making my own and have found problems being consistent. The spices I find in stores around here are often not fresh. Then, if I order them online, it gets expensive. I find it cheaper to buy the commercial rubs.

Back