What is the best smoker for less than $500

Another vote here for the Akorn. Great for smoking like the WSM, but with all the versatility and performance of a BGE, for a fraction of the price.

Miserly on fuel, holds temp like a champ, and easy enough to acquire. Good stuff.

Wow, what a question. There are so many options for under 500 bucks. I love my WSM, but for me to say it is the best for under 500 bucks, would be like saying what the best car is for under 30,000 bucks.

Without a doubt, a WSM is in the running. I love mine. But I've heard that a UDS is the best smoker on the planet, if you have the skills to build one.

Bottom line, a good BBQ cook can cook good BBQ on a used Weber Kettle bought on Craigslist for 20 bucks. Good technique is more important than equipment.

When I get too good for my cookers, I'll replace them. I'm not there, yet.

CD

D pendant on whut you lookin for.Cheapest is a pile of coals and some meat.Been goin on for Centuries:wink: Some folks on here can still pull it off.The rest is just FLUFF.and convenient.Personally,I like the Ceramic cookers first and the Webers second.Second ONLY because ceramics can do ANY cook you wish,smoke,grill,bake very easily.As far as temp controllers,they ALL come with one,it is called vents.NOT sayin you cannot do that other stuff on a Weber,just sayin,the others make it easier.

If you have any need for a grill, go with Akorn.

If not, you'll get more smoking capacity out of a WSM 22.

I got a simple question, what is the best smoker for less than $500 :?:

The question is too simple.

What are your needs? comp, backyard, family, friends, vending, takeout restaurant, catering?

yeah, need more info.

The best smoker for under $500 is the homemade one! The food just seems to taste better if you cook it on something you built!

If you have a Weber kettle go with a smoke ez you get a whole lot more room and it cooks gr8 can't go wrong for the money

thereon.jpg

Crazy simplistic question. :wacko:

There are as many answers to that question as there are dollars in $500.00.
There are at least a dozen cookers I would personally spend $500 or less on and be real happy.

Need more info; what capabilities do you want?

Grilling?
Smoking?
Set & forget?
Like to tend fire on a regular basis?

What type of fuel do you prefer?
Gas?
Wood?
Lump?
Briquettes?
Pellets?

What are you using it for?
Competitions?
Home use? (big family or small family)
Multi-use?

If you have a Weber kettle go with a smoke ez you get a whole lot more room and it cooks gr8 can't go wrong for the money

thereon.jpg

More room than what? I got one a while back but my 22" WSM has more usable grate space

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back